Who earns 80 grand?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Speedofile

Re: Who earns 80 grand?

Post by Speedofile »

Don't get me started on Inheritance Tax!! Theft I tell you!!
:cheer:
gbags

Post by gbags »

I don't begrudge a penny of the tax I pay, we live in one of the richest economies in the world, and one of the nicest places in the world (except the weather!), I'd much rather be here where that money is available than in most other societies around the world, but I do get upset about how it is spent sometimes.

I'm just recovering from an e-coli bloodstream infection contracted during a weekend stay and surgery in an NHS hospital that is in special measures. It was contracted through either the IV line, the catheter, or through my surgical incision and I've never been so ill in my life. Every part of the whole experience with the NHS has been simply horrendous, from stuff as simple as parking the car, or getting a nurse to bring a glass of water to your bed, though to the failings in infection control which means you go in with a broken ankle and come out seriously ill with none of your internal organs working. More money won't fix it. It needs taking to pieces and putting back together from top to bottom.[/quote]

I agree. The NHS is one of the worst health systems in the developed world in terms of how much bang you get for your buck and I've rarely met an expat, who has lived abroad and experienced other good health systems, vouch for the NHS.
Privatise it carefully, with safeguards to protect people with lower incomes, as the Channel Islands already do.
Lastly, please don't quote the American system. It's disjunctional but that doesn't validate the argument that ours is good.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Jak* wrote:Hi,please do not misunderstand me I am not having a go at those on this forum or elsewhere who have triumphed over adversity. I believe from what they have posted on other threads that there are many contributors on here who have been dealt some pretty tough hands and through hard work have achieved a great deal.
You'll never meet a tough person with an easy past.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Jak* wrote:Hi,please do not misunderstand me I am not having a go at those on this forum or elsewhere who have triumphed over adversity. I believe from what they have posted on other threads that there are many contributors on here who have been dealt some pretty tough hands and through hard work have achieved a great deal. What I am saying is that we do not live in a country which has equality of opportunity and that actually over the last seven years equality has reduced. Put simplistically if you were boy whose father (and it would be a father) went to Eton you are far more likely to go to Eton than someone whose father did not go there. If your mother was a drug addict you are far more likely to be a drug addict. I grant you they are at extreme ends of the spectrum but those are facts.
Whilst I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth (or up my nose) I realise now that I had a relatively lucky upbringing, as I had parents who loved and cared for me and valued education. I not realise until I was about seventeen and I went with a mate to visit his girlfriends house that there are households in the U.K. where no one can read.
In my work I am constantly staggered by the daily lives that some of the children in this country have, it is not their fault, it is just the luck of their birth. Apparently the Tories want to cut free school meals, for some children that is the only food they get each day. It is very difficult to learn if you are hungry.
We may live in the same country but if you saw what I do on a daily basis you would not for one moment believe that we have an equal or fair society, and you would also see that it is getting worse.
Cheers Jak
so your proposal is Jak ?

Do we shut Eton, do we get rid of the Royals and all the upper echelon ? when I was younger I believed we should do just that.

I agree with you life is unfair just look around the world and see how others live.

I look at people who complain of poverty and see an Iphone in their hand, large screen TV in the living room and fags in their mouths. I also see people who think the rest of us owe them a living and then laugh at us when they get it.

And before anyone jumps on me I come from that background but fortunately I had enough about me or was brought to believe that I had to go out and earn a living.

When I left the military, I worked in a County Court where I spent my working day trying to help people who were in debt (usually catalogues) I would help them make offers through court to spread their debts and even get them written off, but month after month the same people came back and these were not stupid people, it was just the way they lived.

I then taught at college where on a daily basis I would hear young girls talking (and was even approached by one young pretty thing) about getting pregnant so they could get a house and get social. That was the furthest they aimed again not stupid people. The young girl who asked me to get her pregnant said she would not name me as that would mean she would not be able to claim as much, when I asked her why she had asked me her reply was "you seem brainy and I want a brainy kid"

Then my police career I saw some hopeless case's, some poor bastards that had just be dealt a lousy hand some who's lives got change because of an argument over spilt beer, one with bad injuries and one in prison, both had promising careers and lives. Someone who had been abused all her adult life and ended up killing her abuser a man who's blood I had to walk through to arrest her. through a well written statement and some enquiries by myself and me using my mouth she was actually looked after by the system that you could say didn't help her for most of her life.

Then I look at a young Lord who has just inherited a lot of London and wonder why he should have so much money, I look at a lot of people and see lots of wealth and wonder why they would kill themselves gaining it and not want to help others. I see guys on a daily basis who are well off and wont stop chasing the £ and then die shortly after retiring if they ever do.

I have come to the conclusion after 59 years on this earth, that life is life and sometimes it's just a roll of the dice. help those you can when you can (and people on this forum generally do) some you can't and some just don't deserve it. Some people will never help or care for anyone but themselves because that's their nature and that makes us Human, and because we are human there will be those who have those who don't, those that will be around for their fellow man and those who see their fellow man as a tool to get what they want

Tis life

Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Jak* wrote:HI realise now that I had a relatively lucky upbringing, as I had parents who loved and cared for me and valued education.

In my work I am constantly staggered by the daily lives that some of the children in this country have, it is not their fault, it is just the luck of their birth.
Your parents loving you and valuing education was not a result of how much money they did or didn't have.

Yes, if you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth, it will probably always be there, but on a thread about an £80k salary we are talking middle classes, not upper classes.

For the middle and working classes, it's not the luck of how much money you are born to, but the luck of who you are born to.

But, there are plenty of jobs available and plenty of unemployed young people who decide they are determined to get one and they do (when I was in that position I picked lettuce to get some money rolling in for 6 months while I looked for something better, going on the dole was not an option in my head). Plenty of trade apprentices who decide they want to go self employed and run their own business. There are plenty of mature students in our colleges and universities, doing the exams they missed as an young adult.

You can be born to the wrong parents (I wasn't) and still as an adult decide you want to do something to get yourself of that bottom rung. You can look at your parents as a young adult and say "that's not going to be me".

(Please don't anyone start about what is or isn't working/middle/upper class, you have to draw a line somewhere and I don't know where that line is, I'm just generalising in order to make a point.)
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I'd contend that 80K in London (Other Large Cities are available) is equivalent of 35K in Blackburn (Other Northern towns are available)
Based on the amount of tax paid on 80K compared to 35K and of course the cost of accommodation.
The cost of accommodation is like a tax really.
Speedofile

Post by Speedofile »

Sarge got it spot on earlier. Its a choice and an attitude! People really should stop blaming everyone else for their on situation.
"Keep doing the same thing and you will keep getting the same result"
18 years ago I arrived in England with £1000 in my pocket and a suitcase full of my stuff. I worked 3 jobs for 4 years to save for a house and study when I wasn't working. I am where I am, because I sacrificed 5 years working my tits off and studying and not sitting in pubs bitching about how tough life is.
Anyone can change their life, you have to decide, focus on the end goal and commit...the rest happens happens on its own!
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Speedofile wrote:Sarge got it spot on earlier. Its a choice and an attitude! People really should stop blaming everyone else for their on situation.

"Keep doing the same thing and you will keep getting the same result"

18 years ago I arrived in England with £1000 in my pocket and a suitcase full of my stuff. I worked 3 jobs for 4 years to save for a house and study when I wasn't working. I am where I am, because I sacrificed 5 years working my tits off and studying and not sitting in pubs bitching about how tough life is.

Anyone can change their life, you have to decide, focus on the end goal and commit...the rest happens happens on its own!

Hats off to you, and well put (thumbs)

Sarge
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Jak* wrote:..... What I am saying is that we do not live in a country which has equality of opportunity and that actually over the last seven years equality has reduced.....
So the Conservatives are to blame for all that then ?
Jak* wrote:..... I not realise until I was about seventeen and I went with a mate to visit his girlfriends house that there are households in the U.K. where no one can read......
So, whose fault is that ?
Jak* wrote:.....In my work I am constantly staggered by the daily lives that some of the children in this country have, it is not their fault, it is just the luck of their birth. Apparently the Tories want to cut free school meals, for some children that is the only food they get each day. It is very difficult to learn if you are hungry......
Presumably these people are on benefits. Benefits are there to stop this so it begs the question: What are the benefits being spent on ? Bearing in mind that the parents get the payments !
Jak* wrote:....We may live in the same country but if you saw what I do on a daily basis you would not for one moment believe that we have an equal or fair society, and you would also see that it is getting worse.
Cheers Jak
It is not fair or equal, I agree. The £26k benefits cap (or whatever it is now and I do appreciate not everyone gets that amount) is a vast sum of money. Those who, as many of the above posters, earn a lot less than that and then have the privelege of actually working for it and then paying taxes on it.

A quote, "Socilaism works until everyone elses money runs out".
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Insanity is believed to be diagnosed by doing the same task repeatedly, yet expecting a different result.
Sounds very much like the democratic system to which we give our trust. And the belief that voting will change things.
The only time voting can change things is if the voters en masse decide for a completely different direction. Believing that change will come from the same mass used differently every 4 years is rather hopefull.
As for life, if you are shown a sheep and told to be a sheep you will become a sheep.
If you are shown beyond the horizon and given the ability to explore, you can become what you want.
And that starts at an early age.
The education system, a system for what?

Return to “THE PUB”