Norway

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Spike941

Re: Norway

Post by Spike941 »

If you wait for the ferry to be re-introduced, I doubt you'll ever go. I did it last year after thinking I same. It's a 2 day 1,000 mile slog upto the Norwegian border from the Cotswolds via the tunnel, but well worth when you get there. I looked at all other options, but whichever you choose, you ain't really going to get there any quicker. Don't think about, just do it. Norway must be the best catered for country for touring.
Saint rob

Post by Saint rob »

OB1 wrote:I did the run up to Nordkapp last August.

I'd rather ride than sit on a ferry so I went from Harwich to Hook of Holland, through Germany, Denmark, Sweden and into Norway 2,200 miles door-to-door. Then back through Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany and the Netherlands for a total of just over 4,500 miles in 10 days.

Now I just need to go back with more time to see all the things I missed!
Could you PM me the route that you took and any info on where you got to each day please, it would be a big help as at the minute all I know is that I want to get to Telemark, the fjords, atlantic highway and Nord Kapp. I've not sussed how to get back or which way round to go yet, but I've got 12 months to do that (figure it out that is)
Current bikes: XT1200ZE, MT01, XV750se, TRS 300RR, Scorpa factory 300- still mine despite some thieving scum bag bastard currently having possession of it
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

We've been twice in the wifes MG first time we drove up via Denmark, then ferry, second time the Harwich-Esjberg ferry was still operating so we went via that but still had to go to Hirtshalls for the ferry to Norway & to be honest l enjoyed the drive up experience best, hoping to go again in 2019 but l doubt there will ever be a direct ferry again most folk seem to want to cruise to Norway most of our friends thought we were barmy driving there to be honest.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Always good to get an update opinion.
Thanks
:)
Will It Buff Out?
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Don't forget the west coast is the most spectacular part of Norway, but try and stay off the E-39 where possible.
Google Preikestolen, Kjerag, Lysebotn camping, Sogndalstrand.
THere are loads of nice campsites as well as wild camping is allowed. You'll need to plan a route. Bear in mind road conditions and speed limits in Norway. Aim for an average speed of 50Km/h.
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

Spike941 wrote:If you wait for the ferry to be re-introduced, I doubt you'll ever go. I did it last year after thinking I same. It's a 2 day 1,000 mile slog upto the Norwegian border from the Cotswolds via the tunnel, but well worth when you get there. I looked at all other options, but whichever you choose, you ain't really going to get there any quicker. Don't think about, just do it. Norway must be the best catered for country for touring.
If/when I return to Norway, it'll be to explore the Western coast and I probably wouldn't bother going any further North than the Lofotens then I'd do the reverse of route home from last year; overnight Hull -> Rotterdam, bimble 370 miles across Germany to Kiel and then overnight ferry (cruise) Kiel to Oslo.
If I were returning to Nordkapp, I'd use the route we went by, Hull -> Rotterdam, easy day's ride to Travemunde and then a long ferry ride (27 hours) to Helsinki; when you get off the ferry you're only(!) a thousand miles from your goal. If you are bothering with Nordkapp, have a ride to the Russian border and turn left, you ride alongside a river that forms the Norway/Russian border and end up being able to have a paddle in the Arctic Ocean...

IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG (59.22 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Saint rob wrote:Could you PM me the route that you took and any info on where you got to each day please, it would be a big help as at the minute all I know is that I want to get to Telemark, the fjords, atlantic highway and Nord Kapp. I've not sussed how to get back or which way round to go yet, but I've got 12 months to do that (figure it out that is)
PM sent! (thumbs)
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Saint rob

Post by Saint rob »

OB1 wrote:
Saint rob wrote:Could you PM me the route that you took and any info on where you got to each day please, it would be a big help as at the minute all I know is that I want to get to Telemark, the fjords, atlantic highway and Nord Kapp. I've not sussed how to get back or which way round to go yet, but I've got 12 months to do that (figure it out that is)
PM sent! (thumbs)
Great info Thanks David
Current bikes: XT1200ZE, MT01, XV750se, TRS 300RR, Scorpa factory 300- still mine despite some thieving scum bag bastard currently having possession of it
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

Just seen this. Thanks for posting, I should be walking to the top of the Pulpit Rock on Monday 24th July :woohoo: hopefully the weather will be OK (thumbs)
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Get there early!!!
If not and the weather is good you could risk walking in a queue. And if you are
feeling very adventurous you could set off before sunrise, and watch the day breaking
from the top. The other option is to walk up late evening and camp, to get up in time for sunrise.

Return to “TRAVEL”