Average age of bike riders generally

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Re: Average age of bike riders generally

Post by -Ralph- »

Jak* wrote:Even if you pass your test on your 17th birthday you cannot rude anything bigger than a 125cc until you pass your next test when you are 19
I can't imagine many 17 year old's bother. Just ride on L plates until you are 19. A 125 isn't suited to a pillion or motorway riding anyway, so it's not like you gain much by losing the L plates. 3 years with only a CBT for training, something like a Yamaha YZF-R125 can pull and indicated 80mph, and these rules were supposed to improve safety??
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

You pass your car test and can drive anything at any age - Daewoo Matiz or Ferrari. Maybe the same for a truck licence.

Why is it rational to relate age to model of licence approved vehicle if it's a motorcycle?
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

I kind of agree with staging motorcycle licenses, I wouldn't want my son when he's 18 with one year experience going out and getting an R6, because I know how that would end, but I don't think there was anything wrong with the system we had where you passed your test and got 33bhp for 2 years, or you had to be 21 to do Direct Access.

With cars the insurance stops most kids getting their hands on something really powerful, but I wouldn't be opposed to similar laws controlling that either.

A 33bhp bike will still do 100mph and keep pace with most hot hatches getting there.

Giving a kid something that'll do 0-60 in 3 seconds and top out at 160mph, just isn't a good idea IMO, especially with the added vulnerability of the body being on the outside.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
gbags

Post by gbags »

gspod wrote:
WIBO wrote:
I think that's why I see so many females on motos too...yesterday I saw a short thin girl on a Ducati!!..in tight jeans..really tight. I like girls on motos here.

Just thought I'd mention that for no reason

:)

This post is useless without pictures :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
IMG_0660.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG (113.36 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

I'm 27 and on a KTM 950 Adventure (recently switched from a ZZR1400).

I have to agree with many of the sentiments reflected here, the new test system is too complicated for younger generations to bother with. I was fortunately within the last few years of the 33bhp restriction before the rules changed to what they are now, which frankly is rediculous.

Restrictions should be in place on bikes, and I believe they should be on cars as well (not going into that now though), but not to the level of complexity now endured when having to obtain a full license.

I'm not surprised that the general demographic of bikers is ageing, its a sad thing to see and unless something changes biker numbers are going to continually dwindle.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Return to “THE PUB”