Shocking problem...

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
SteveR

Shocking problem...

Post by SteveR »

It appears that the Vara 125 suffers with the same issues as it's Big Brother the Vara XL1000 with fading, then weeping, rear shocks! :whistle:

Sam,my impoverished student nephew has an ageing 125 Varadero as his sole means of transport and he contacted me earlier today regarding what sounds like a shock with knackered seals to me, some oil about and ropey handling were the symptoms. He is a long way off from me in Shropshire and it is a little unfortunate timing, as he was a due a "big trip" to come up and stay a couple of days here while we did some of the works needed, wheel bearings check brakes, fork seals etc etc.

He is now looking around at the best fix, a 2nd hand unit, rebuild, or an aftermarket unit? The bike seems to becoming as he put it, a bit of a money pit. Not surprising really as it is getting on with uncertain history... Motor is I believe sound and the rest of the bike is otherwise OK for it's age so worth keeping on the road...

Any suggestions of a shock refurb option near Guildford? It may well be that the outfit would need to remove the old shock, as he is competent, but has no proper tools... ;)
SteveR

Re: Shocking problem...

Post by SteveR »

He has asked about these... Not sure myself but would it be Ok for a few months...?

Here
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Sam has been told that the wee Vara rear shock is NOT rebuildable, or possibly, not economically rebuildable....?

Bit of a bummer that for the Lad. :(
oldoak

Post by oldoak »

Hi Steve,

some bikes seem to fit shocks which can easily be re-built. others like my Peg, don't.

The only option for us was a new unit from aprilia at a bit of a cost...

Last year, one of the chaps off the Aprilia forum took his to Hagon, where they made an new one for him for about 2/3 the price of an OEM one.

Not sure if that would be any cheaper for your nephew, but work a look.

go easy!

Dave
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Steve give Revs of Halesowen a call

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Ta Dave, I did suggest Hagon, but they worked out quite a lot more than some cheaper options and for an old bike, its not worth the premium price... :(

I still reckon Mr Honda will have used the same shock on another bike that may be more common and so a breaker is easier to find, but I can't suss it so far.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Redmurty wrote:Steve give Revs of Halesowen a call

cheers Spud ;)
I was trying to recall had used Spud..I'll try them tomorrow. (thumbs)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

sent you there number good lads to chat to (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

See if any on here are close - :https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 7Q&cad=rja

I've used shocks off things like the Yamaha R6 as you could get a good quality shock off a crashed bike for not much money !
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

+1 for recomending Rev's. They did a sterling job for me at short notice last year.

Return to “TECHNICAL”