KTM 1290 SA off-road tires

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Cosc

KTM 1290 SA off-road tires

Post by Cosc »

Hi,

I would like to change my stock tires on my KTM Super Adventure 1290 with off road tires

What would you suggest for this bike?
Last edited by Cosc on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike54

Re: KTM 1290 SA off-road tires

Post by Mike54 »

There is really no such thing as a 50/50 tyre, or a 60/40 tyre. There are offroad tyres and there are road tyres. Anything else is just manufacturer BS.

On my 1190R I had a Mitas E09 dakar rear and a michelin desert race front. terrible for road though, both v hard compounds and slippery in the wet. good offroad.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

A big, powerful, heavy bike will pretty much destroy a knobbly tyre in very little time...but if you go that route Michelin Desert or Dunlop D908R is probably the most durable.

Other than that a Mefo Explorer/Super Explorer will last for ages and handle most surfaces except mud.
Cosc

Post by Cosc »

What do you think about this combination:

Rear: Heidenau k60 scout
Front continental TKC 80

Or another type from what I've read would also be Michelin anakee wild tires (rear and front)

Let me know your opinions thanks.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

K60 is a effectively road tyre on a heavy bike due to the centre band. Useless offroad with any throttle whatsoever.

TKC is actually a road tyre with a v soft compound and blocks cut of the mold. A con from Continental for a tyre which lasts no time at all. They've managed to con BMW riders for years with it, it's neither a dirt tyre nor a road tyre.

Decide what riding you want to do or get a second set of wheels. You bike is heavy, if you want to ride it confiddently offroad and push it it requires full offroad tyres. It's as simple as that, there is no in between here. You can ride on hardpack non-tarmac roads on road tyres, that's not an issue so decide on your riding.
Cosc

Post by Cosc »

Ok Mike54 I see. My first idea was to get a second pair of wheels anyway. However got discouraged with the high price of original KTM wheels.

This is the thing: I am planning a trip to Bolivia alone and it's hard to know what roads I will will encounter. That's why it's an adventure.-) Therefore I just want to be prepared as much as I can for any situation. Of course I cannot drag a set of wheels to change if I get in rough terrain or deprive myself for not going places... That's why I am trying to figure out what the best tires in my situation would be...??

Around here of course ideal is to have a second set of wheels that I can change in my garage before I go on local trips...

Any idea of a good brand that has the wheels to fit on my bike at a more affordable price than the KTM?

Thanks.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

for your trip, e09 dakar rear and an e09 front should do you. I'd steer you away from the K60 and the 908. Latter is great but very very hard compound and designed for rocky desert ground. if you do choose that dont make the mistake many people do which is run it at normal pressure, they're designed to run at a much lower pressure than normal and the sidewalls are incredibly stiff.

No one else makes wheels for the ktm. you can have a set made up with Haan hubs, but you'd still need to get the rims from KTM as they're not imported by any of the distributors.
Cosc

Post by Cosc »

I have looked at the Mitas e-09 Dakar but they dont seem to come in the size I need. On my bike I have:

Front: 120/70 19
Rear: 170/60 17

Most they come is in 150...

What would be the second suggestion in this case?

Thanks.
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

There's not a lot about for 17'' rear, IMHO it would be the K60 although it's a compromise with the centre band, its a very hard wearing tyre with a strong carcass and good road manners in wet or dry.

If you opt for a K60 front, just remember that at that size the tyre is directional depending on front or rear fitment, luckily they have come up with an ingenious plan and there's some arrows on the side wall with Front and Rear on :laugh:
Cone

Post by Cone »

My next 17" rear will be a Metzeler karoo 3, I am use to the Karoo's which are more knobbly bias and typically last 2500 miles. I do try not to accelerate too hard off the mark.

I expect the 3's to last for around 3-4k on rear. I also use the front which performed very well in mud and on rocks.

Return to “TECHNICAL”