Oxford Optimiser misery?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Richard Simpson

Re: Oxford Optimiser misery?

Post by Richard Simpson »

Don't confuse the Oxford Chinese rubbish with another product with nearly the same name.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I have nothing good to say about oxford products, too many problems with various items in the past. I don't buy/use any thing they market now. But I learnt the hard/expensive way. Nige.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

-Ralph- wrote:I have an Oxford Oximiser 600 (note "Ox" not "Opt"-imiser)

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorc ... imiser-600

Bought before I learned that nearly all Oxford products are cheap shite.

I find it cannot detect a battery that has fallen too low on voltage and hence doesn't start charging it. It also find it stops charging at 12.5 volts, whereas some bikes need more like 13v to start.

It's OK for maintaining a healthy battery on a modern multi-cylinder bike while a bike isn't being used, but my XT600E which I assume needs more power to turn it over given it is a big thumper, the Oximiser just didn't do the job.

So I spent £50 quid on a CTEK charger and it did the job.

You won't do any harm putting an old simple charger on it for a few hours, just to get the voltage up to a level the Oximiser can work with.
I think you've hit the nail right on the head Ralph. I'll try to recover the battery so at least i have a spare. Meanwhile keep my eyes peeled for a CTEK while I wait for the exchange to improve - post French election? :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Richard Simpson wrote:Don't confuse the Oxford Chinese rubbish with another product with nearly the same name.
Go on, give us a hint! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

AlanHolt wrote:this, or run the bike every 30 days.
That's quite a high price for an MXS 5.0. You are in Spain if I remeber right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=142363976 ... t=0&chn=ps

Or for those in the UK a google shopping search will find it for £65

http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/ctek-mxs- ... Aunz8P8HAQ
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
Richard Simpson wrote:Don't confuse the Oxford Chinese rubbish with another product with nearly the same name.

Regs

Simon
https://tecmate.com/

They are supposed to be quite good, but I've never had one myself, I just went for the CTEK because it will do car, leisure batteries, etc, so I only need one charger.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Had an optimate (tecmate) for 8 years and still working, it charges gell and acid batteries fine. I believe its Lithium batteries that require a newer type charger.
Have you tried cleaning the connector plug particularly the fixed lead on the bike, they get corroded. Chargers sense the battery by resistance so a dirty connector confuses them with high resistance.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

-Ralph- wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:

Regs

Simon
https://tecmate.com/

They are supposed to be quite good, but I've never had one myself, I just went for the CTEK because it will do car, leisure batteries, etc, so I only need one charger.

is the right answer!
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I had an Oxford oximiser and didnt have much luck with it.I threw away a couple of batteries that probably would have been ok with another charger. It,s leads were very thin and the leds not very bright. I have a Lithium battery in my Suzuki DRZ400 and have bought a Noco Genius charger. I will see how i get on with it.

Return to “TECHNICAL”