Anyone done much mooching around .....

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
noodles

Anyone done much mooching around .....

Post by noodles »

Tuscany?
I am on my mini - adventure on the 13th May and I am going down to Frejus - St France for the first couple of days (a day drooling around the super yachts in Monaco B) ) and then I am going which way the wind blows until I am catching the ferry home from Bilbao on the 25th ... so I was thinking about having a good old look around Tuscany but wondering which are the nicest parts? loveliest places to see? is it best to just get some digs in one place for 3-4 days and ride out each day and if so where's best to have a base?
Anyone got any advice? (thumbs)
If the weather looks iffy around Tuscany but better in Spain then I will probably head down there but will wait and see ... only 3 weekends away now though and I am off :cheer:
AlanHolt

Re: Anyone done much mooching around .....

Post by AlanHolt »

I love northern Italy, if it was me, I'd use lake Garda as a base for going to the Austrian Alps, Venice etc and then move towards Florence. And I couldn't return to Italy without going to Bellagio on lake Como.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I had a frustrating week in a car near Siena last year.
The roads to the east (and everywhere else) are biking heaven but try and avoid Sundays.
Most bikers poodle around on overloaded tourers/cruisers and waste the glorious riding. Get out there and have some fun.
It's good to have the scenery viewing dawdle but they were almost designed for proper biking entertainment.
Look out for some of the 'back roads' that look like proper roads on the map but they have started leaving some to fall apart and they just put a white dusty gravel on them 30m after you turn off the main road.

It's totally different scenery to the Alps/Dolomites and every viewpoint looks like a classic Tuscan photo. The food and wine are great too.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
noodles

Post by noodles »

AlanHolt wrote:I love northern Italy, if it was me, I'd use lake Garda as a base for going to the Austrian Alps, Venice etc and then move towards Florence. And I couldn't return to Italy without going to Bellagio on lake Como.
Thnks for the reply ... I have done Garda and Como before and whilst its amazing I wanted somewhere new ... also because its only May I fear getting more rainy weather in Austria / the mountains, I know its hit and miss but I am banking on the sun being more prevalant further South. (thumbs)
noodles

Post by noodles »

DavidS wrote:I had a frustrating week in a car near Siena last year.
The roads to the east (and everywhere else) are biking heaven but try and avoid Sundays.
Most bikers poodle around on overloaded tourers/cruisers and waste the glorious riding. Get out there and have some fun.
It's good to have the scenery viewing dawdle but they were almost designed for proper biking entertainment.
Look out for some of the 'back roads' that look like proper roads on the map but they have started leaving some to fall apart and they just put a white dusty gravel on them 30m after you turn off the main road.

It's totally different scenery to the Alps/Dolomites and every viewpoint looks like a classic Tuscan photo. The food and wine are great too.
Siena was on the list and then maybe back down towards the coast ... so many nice places when you look online :) .. cheers
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

noodles wrote:
AlanHolt wrote:I love northern Italy, if it was me, I'd use lake Garda as a base for going to the Austrian Alps, Venice etc and then move towards Florence. And I couldn't return to Italy without going to Bellagio on lake Como.
Thnks for the reply ... I have done Garda and Como before and whilst its amazing I wanted somewhere new ... also because its only May I fear getting more rainy weather in Austria / the mountains, I know its hit and miss but I am banking on the sun being more prevalant further South. (thumbs)
I'd you decide to come to Spain instead, try and call in.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

noodles wrote:

Siena was on the list and then maybe back down towards the coast ... so many nice places when you look online :) .. cheers
We still haven't got towards the coast after three visits to tuscany and Umbria as we love all the hill towns and classic Tuscan countryside.

We're retiring in a few weeks and one of our future trip plans is a comprehensive tour(s) of western Europe to see all those places that one or two weeks in a rental car don't let you see.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
noodles

Post by noodles »

AlanHolt wrote:
noodles wrote:
I'd you decide to come to Spain instead, try and call in.
You might very well be on my route back towards Bilbao B) ... You are probably very busy on the farm but when you get 5mins can you drop me a PM with overnight rates if you do any single 1 night stays or if you are booked up on the 23rd May please?
Cheers
Noodles
noodles

Post by noodles »

DavidS wrote:
noodles wrote:

We still haven't got towards the coast after three visits to tuscany and Umbria as we love all the hill towns and classic Tuscan countryside.

We're retiring in a few weeks and one of our future trip plans is a comprehensive tour(s) of western Europe to see all those places that one or two weeks in a rental car don't let you see.
Not jealous at all :whistle: (thumbs) ... you will have a cracking time with no 'back to work' thoughts at all ... get in! :cheer:
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Beautiful roads in Tuscany if you get off the beaten track, beware the coast road from La Spezia all the way down to Civitavecchia, it is very busy.
one-legged adventurer

Return to “TRAVEL”