severed ligaments - knowledge, advice .... sympathy

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tyrant68

Re: severed ligaments - knowledge, advice .... sympathy

Post by Tyrant68 »

Sorry to read about your injury Mosel.
Tore my Infraspinatus and Supraspinatus off my rotorcuff after a fall off the bike, leading to dislocation of the shoulder and other damage.
All required surgery and a lot of rehabilitation.
Don't be a hero and come back early. Do your PT religiously. Speak to your physio and explain your goals and what you do. They'll help you return to full fitness, but it's up to you.
Make sure you get a decent icepack system for post op, makes a heck of difference.
Good luck and speedy recovery
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
hornet

Post by hornet »

hell man that sucks.

I will try to write what will help you not what you want to hear. It will take as long as it takes which is completely unhelpful but also the most important thing to know. We are complex and the same injury on 10 people will take 10 different amounts of time and effort to heal. If you set time goals for recovery it will probably lead to trying too hard , which with rehab is disastrous and only lengthen your recovery time.

I'm Two and a half years down the line from a neck and shoulder injury and it's still a long way from right, mainly down to misdiagnosis and GP's failure to act, so make sure you trust your health care people.

Now your not going to be active or as active as you want so it's vital your able to do something that makes you happy so you don't spend all your time thinking about what you would rather be doing trust me on this, your mental health during rehab will make a difference.

I wish you luck buddy

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
sid.

Post by sid. »

Sorry to here this mike. All i can offer you is my best wishes for a speedy recovery. And plenty of sympathy. Cheers sid.
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Sorry to hear that and get well soon! (thumbs)

I done my shoulder in when I was younger (dislocated and banjo' the ligaments) and it was months before it was even starting to get better and gave me about three years grief after that.

What I learnt quickly was that it wasn't going to heal quickly. I probably did more damage getting on like it wasn't injured. So listen to the Dr and the physio and do as they bid. Let it take its time. Missing one summer is better than missing three!
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
herman

Post by herman »

Mosel Bikes wrote:fell down a 2 meter embankment yesterday,whilst walking dogs, onto a road, ambulance, hospital, completely severed both ligaments connecting the shoulder bone to the collar bone. have surgery on wednesday and a couple of nights stay over .
can't use left arm at all and very painful.
anyone knowledgeable or experienced know how long i'll be out of commission in biking terms.
also, had plans to take bikes to uk and bring some to germany, so if anyone is heading this way, has space and is interested in making some money, get in touch by pm.
Bugger :( we dont bounce like the younguns do.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

sorry to hear your news...looks like it may take some time.
What dogs have you got?
I know a chap who is due to Italy in the next 2-3 days. I think you contacted him a while back to move some bikes?? You could try him again. (Florence)
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

thanks for all the detailed and helpful replies and for the support and sympathetic understanding.it has given me both a lot of useful information and an increased sense of wellbeing despite the setback and pain - which we all know,is half the battle.
i'll respond more specifically in due course.
p.s.sorry for the typing,but can only use one hand.
you're treasures - one and all. (thumbs)
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Not being remotely clued up on medicine I have no idea whether severed ligaments are anything like tendons?

Take what the doctor / physio say on board, push it when you feel you can, but they know what they're talking about. We all heal slightly differently but not that much

I know from my experience I couldn't hold anything heavier than a piece of paper for 3 months, the next 3 involved overcoming those 3 months of inactivity regaining strength & movement. It's a slow, tedious and very painful process & I wish you the best of luck.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I did both Anterior cruciate ligaments on the same day. I hurt one knee and then got back on the bike because i didn,t want to waste any of the track day at the enduro track,fell off at almost the same point again and did the other knee. I couldn,t walk properly for several weeks and still tried to do too much as usual. The only advice i can give is don,t be an idiot like me and accept that like most of us of a certain age do not heal as well as we used to do.If you love bikes as i do you will not want to ruin any chance of getting back in the saddle in the future. Hope you have a full recovery.
placky2

Post by placky2 »

bad luck mate,hope your ok asap. like somebody said have a word with redmurty,he can do wonders with limbs,the guys been brilliant with my knee.his advice will be spot on.hope you get sorted soon,good luck mate.
bosses are like nappys,always hanging round ya arse and full of shit.

life is like a shit sandwich,the more bread you have the less shit you eat.

never get into owt you cant get out of.

Return to “THE PUB”