A review of the CRF250 Rally.

The Things We Ride
yodagoat

Post by yodagoat »

Here's a wee review I wrote of Honda's new CRF250 Rally.

http://yodagoat.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/ ... eview.html

Hope it's of some use to you guys.

Mike
The shite I write, www.WintonMassif.co.uk

Guided tours in Scotland www.passingplacestours.com
byewayrider

Re: A review of the CRF250 Rally.

Post by byewayrider »

Nice honest report...but its still overweight , heavy and expensive...but in a market with no real modern compqrisons honda has no real.challengers...surely a.low.milage second hand ccm450 would be leaps.ahead..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

only if it not back at the factory being fixed , the honda might be simple and tubby but it will start and run.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Seems an honest report, with nice pictures.
Would you have one?
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

byewayrider wrote:Nice honest report...but its still overweight , heavy and expensive...but in a market with no real modern compqrisons honda has no real.challengers...surely a.low.milage second hand ccm450 would be leaps.ahead..
That may be true but wouldnt you need to see one for a good price second hand first with low miles... I haven't seen any in the last 4/5 months I seen one for 5,500/6'000 I forgot the exact price but it was straight from ccm itself but it had been the demo bike and had a good few miles on it and was only the standard model ...I would be personally be looking for the rs model but they are hard to come by second hand ... as it most be a bike that once you have you don't want to sell ...

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

At 21 stone any 250 is going to have a hard time carrying you uphill Mike & you can safely assume the suspension wasn't designed with you in mind.

I'm 11 stone so have none of those issues with the CRF, where I do struggle is trying to manhandle bikes 3 x my bodyweight. Worth a try but reckon you won't be impressed with the package :(
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Well just read your review and it's good told me a lot but as sorta made my head steer away from this bike now ...I did ask for test ride myself at my local Honda but was told they took them all back on a recall as they were only gonna be for costumer order now so could be waiting up to a month for a test ride but they would happily let me take a crf250l out as it's the same engine etc ...but just wouldn't be the same feel etc as the suspension is different and there's a slight change in engine also... reading your review thou as slight put me off on the fact you say your 16 stone and the engine was a bit underpowered to get you up a incline with your weight on...and I am 21.5 stone so don't think it would shift at all with me on and would probably need to sort out the suspension with stiffer springs maybe ... I suppose doing wat minky head did and putting a cb300 engine in could possibly make it a bit more powerfull or changing the exhaust jetting etc would bring a few extra bhp and then changing the gearing may also benefit it in some way ... looking at the bike it looks the peiece but I need to test ride one myself first I think as there are so many different test ride video etc and they are all different in so many ways ....

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Har65

Post by Har65 »

Nice write up , love my crf only used it on gravel track briefly
But done plenty of back lanes in Devon , sadly the wife likes the
Idea of pillion again , not much good for that .
Seem to be plenty of detractors about the Honda , but great little bikes
& cheap to run
Thanks again for a great write up Mike .
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

halfpint wrote:only if it not back at the factory being fixed , the honda might be simple and tubby but it will start and run.
My CCM is for sale, but it's never been back to the factory to be repaired in 5000 miles.
yodagoat

Post by yodagoat »

I think at 21 stone the CRF will toil. There's no adjustment in the suspension so in my opinion you'd need to upgrade the springs/shock. I think I was pretty close to the useable limit. The wee bike would still sit at 60 in top gear up the hill I tested it on and that was with a strong headwind.
The shite I write, www.WintonMassif.co.uk

Guided tours in Scotland www.passingplacestours.com

Return to “BIKES”