Middleweight twin adventure bike

The Things We Ride
BobH

Post by BobH »

Have been watching with interest on the arrival of the T7 and KTM 790. Question is, will they be worth the wait. Am lucky enough to have an 1190 and Dr650 but have a hankering for a lightweight twin for longer roads to the off road part. I was talking to a fellow adventurer from Croatia who was using a 650 Transalp for a base build. Strip the bodywork, add some decent shocks and racks and he thought he had the perfect RTW twin. Any other thoughts?
minkyhead

Re: Middleweight twin adventure bike

Post by minkyhead »

i always loved the aprillia sxv concept ,,

the ill fated bike had a super compact vee twin engine ..if they had been able to detune it to say 45/50hp it may well have been the best ever engine for a light weigh adv bike ...

there is the expertise out there to make a deffinitive motor ..but not enough market for them to do it ...

smart engine such a shame no more came of it

ImagestU6REr by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]

ImageUntitled-1 by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I remember that motor Steve, it's fast but delicate. Are you thinking detuned to around 50bhp to give less vibes than a single?
Other than that, in that state of tune I can't see it having any other advantages, other than looking very pretty.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

SteveW wrote:I remember that motor Steve, it fast but delicate. Are you thinking detuned to around 50bhp to give less vibes than a single?
Other than that, in that state of tune I can't see it having any other advantages, other than looking very pretty.
Unless in a slightly more de-tuned state it would have longer service intervals?
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

Gorgeous looking thing those, i lusted after one, just didn't work out like many before and many after i imagine. Shame.
Bimota V due anyone?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
robson

Post by robson »

the closest match currently new on market would be v-strom 650xt or F700GS, and you can strip them down.

waiting for t7 or other makes no sense as this could be as well up to 2 years and you don't even know what you'll get.

p.s.
I think it was global conspiracy to withdraw all middleweight twins from sell in last few years. (by middleweight I mean below 200kg)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

robson wrote: p.s.
I think it was global conspiracy to withdraw all middleweight twins from sell in last few years. (by middleweight I mean below 200kg)
Please enlighten us :whistle:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
robson

Post by robson »

Tonibe63 wrote:
robson wrote: p.s.
Please enlighten us :whistle:
for enlightenment go back to school, all of you from that bunker.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

SteveW wrote:I remember that motor Steve, it's fast but delicate. Are you thinking detuned to around 50bhp to give less vibes than a single?
if you could keep the fast bit and remove the delicate we would be right on the money ....just looks exactly right for a unicorn (thumbs)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
bowber

Post by bowber »

I don't think delicate quite described them, grenade is probably a better description ;-)
You right though Steve, lovely looking bike and motor and fast when going.

Steve

Return to “BIKES”