Using Sat Nav

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Rederic

Using Sat Nav

Post by Rederic »

I have just been looking at this in the MCN

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017 ... s-driving/

And cannot get my head around what is meant by 45 degrees, (who would put it by the elbow)

and if its bolted to the bike is it still classed as a mobile device ?

[center]
spot_2017-03-14.gif
spot_2017-03-14.gif (1.56 MiB) Viewed 2398 times
[/center]
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
boatman

Re: Using Sat Nav

Post by boatman »

One will be studiously ignoring anything to do with this
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

With the failure to have control of a vehicle offence, using a sat nav could always potentially land you in a spot of bother.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Christ I spilt my cuppa all down my shirt , :laugh: I do love your posts :whistle:
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Is it an adventure if you are guided turn by turn to a predetermined end point?
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
-Ralph-

Using Sat Nav

Post by -Ralph- »

No the sat nav in a cradle is not hand held, not covered by the 6 point £200 fixed penalty.

If you tap "Destination", "Home" on the Sat nav you'll be absolutely fine, no different to resetting your trip meter or switching on your heated grips.

Start plumbing in street addresses and be seen by a copper doing it, and expect to land up explaining yourself in court.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Using Sat Nav

Post by -Ralph- »

PS: the 45 degree thing gives 22.25 degrees below your level line of sight and your Sat nav shouldn't be above that line. It's a technical thing for use in court to determine non compliance, coppers don't carry a spirit level and a protractor

It's a load of bollocks because on a large adventure bike with a short rider your speedometer might not comply with that.

Basically just don't put it anywhere that it obscures your view of the road ahead. On your bars, triple clamp, on your tank, or between the top of your speedo and the bottom of your screen.

Some bikers have it mounted at the top of the screen, where it could be argued it obscures your vision, but a copper is never going to argue about it unless he's stopped you for other offences and one of you is being a prick.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

-Ralph- wrote:PS: the 45 degree thing gives 22.25 degrees below your level line of sight and your Sat nav shouldn't be above that line. It's a technical thing for use in court to determine non compliance, coppers don't carry a spirit level and a protractor

It's a load of bollocks because on a large adventure bike with a short rider your speedometer might not comply with that.

Basically just don't put it anywhere that it obscures your view of the road ahead. On your bars, triple clamp, on your tank, or between the top of your speedo and the bottom of your screen.

Some bikers have it mounted at the top of the screen, where it could be argued it obscures your vision, but a copper is never going to argue about it unless he's stopped you for other offences and one of you is being a prick.

Sensible advice, there Ralph.

I see many cars with their huge 'mobile' devices suckered on to the windscreen just below the mirror or next too the already wide A pillar. You can bet your bottom dollar they are not simply used for sat-nav purposes because they are close enough to read texts & social media as it pings in.

Jon
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

It's common sense, if a car can fail it's mot for having a chip in the screen the size of a 50p coin, you can't get away with putting something the size of a satnav there.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Strangly enough a trawl of Google and .Gov seems to give little new guidance on fixed gps use only mentioning if installed on a mobile phone it must be in a cradle not hand held.

I cant for the life of me see how they came up with a 45 degree quote or the logic behind it.

Return to “TECHNICAL”