Ktm 990 Adv first impressions.....

The Things We Ride
bond_yzf

Ktm 990 Adv first impressions.....

Post by bond_yzf »

Well still can't get me head around the fact ive bought one but it was an itch that needed scratching.

Rode it most of yesterday and half of today so around 200 miles and first impressions are preety damn awesome.

Pros....

Feck its quick :ohmy: (not as much as an arm ripping fast but the power just seems endless)

Ergo's fit me quite well all tho screen could do with being a couple of inches taller ( Rade Screen will be in order soon)

Like the little thought out details, glovebox,aux switched cable,lower ron fuel cable etc

The noise from the titanium remus 2-1 :woohoo: :evil: :woohoo:

Feels lighter than me f800gs

Hydraulic Clutch feels bliss

Brakes are oustanding

Cons...

I was gunna say fuel consumption but i filled up yesterday and i havent hit reserve yet so i will hold judgement on that and i've been making progress shall i say in certain areas.

Stock Handguards seem a bit flimsy

Doesnt feel quite as refind as the gs but i a way i think thats why i like it so not sure if its a con.....

I love the gs and it won't be going anywhere it will be used for tarmac only roadtrips it's the turn of the 990 to get dirty.Knobblies are on the way from openeo B)
skinny

Re: Ktm 990 Adv first impressions.....

Post by skinny »

Bond,- had a 990s for 5 years, never let me down, took it to Morocco twice, Europe road trips 3 times, all i can say is when going into a corner a tad too quick with the 21inch front wheel you can't have a sneaky tug on the front brake like the GS!!!!!!! I know!!!!! Also name me another bike of that ilke that'll wheelie and sound as good at 80
skinny

Post by skinny »

Sorry, also little s bit on exhaust rust's, and back brake master heats up. If you find it snatchy ignore all the other threads, it's not going away, g2 throttle cam helps but don't get rid of it. Change chain adjuster bolts etc for good quality ones, they sieze at the wrong time, have you little pipe going between the 2 tanks under glove box? This is important if going off road/very hot, if not pressure release caps!
James_Death

Post by James_Death »

Sounds like all positives then...must sound fantastic... (thumbs)
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

It certainly does!
dave h

Post by dave h »

re -fuelling,
look on the ktm supertwins forum,
use power comander v and o2 sensors
and tune ecu program
loose the secondary butterflies,sas system etc
with the free tune ecu you can also raise the rev limit [superdukes rev higher,same engine internal part nos,shorter sevice intervals i guess]

dave.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Tbh i don't think the fuelling is that bad

It's running the akro map with the remus and it feels fine
skinny

Post by skinny »

Dave, shorter service intervals- yes, also Burns out valves, engine don't really need it, just remember to plant your backside back on the seat to get the traction back, enjoy, miss mine loads!!!
skinny

Post by skinny »

And you can start it, don't touch the throttle and it will reset to sensor readings after 13/15 mins i was told, correct me someone if I'm wrong!!
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

I'm very impressed with my 2003 950 Adventure and feel much the same as you, though it's carbed so comes with its own pros and cons with in that respect.

It has been tuned on a dyno though and from looking at the Air/Fuel ratio it looks spot on efficiency pretty much throughout the rev range!

Very happy with mine, but just need a few more mods. Needs frame protectors to keep boots scuffing frame, headlight protector, Sat nav set up and some minor cosmetics sorting, but otherwise a very sorted bike!!!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Return to “BIKES”