London, unsafe and getting worse.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Neiljohnuk

Post by Neiljohnuk »

As a member of The UK Motorcycle Theft Protest group on Facebook we're seeing an increase in GS's being targeted (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukmtp/), 3 GSA's in the last week and a round the world riders bike nicked then dumped smashed up in the last month, then tonight there was this in the BMW club group:

I live in Shoreditch, London, next to the City.
After a theft attempt mid Jan (they cut two disks to get rid of my two Abus, failed to get away because of my third lock) and 7 weeks repairs, I parked my 2016 R1200GSA in my garage, CCTV cameras electric gate, bike locked by an alarmed Abus Detecto and a Kryptonite New York 16mm thick, electronic built in anti-theft activated. Well, it lasted just one night, and thieves finally succeeded, only a portion of my Kryptonite left. Looks like they targeted it and it is quite unbearable thinking of people following you at night to detect where your bike is, with thousands of pounds of equipment to cut whatever you put on your bike... I think I can't do more than this to protect it, and I feel like I am at war. Considering that my garage is not to be considered safe anymore and that my insurance premium is going to spike because of two claims in two months, I feel like I cannot follow my passion anymore, in this country. So sad.

So if your riding into Londonistan beware, the scrotes grab keys at traffic lights, kick riders off, or follow you until they find out where you bike is kept, and petrol stations are a favourite hi-jack or push away location.
felco

Re: London, unsafe and getting worse.

Post by felco »

Motorcycle theft protection group on Facebook!! lets all join :whistle:
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

You can't follow your passion any more because you're £15k+ bikes keep getting stolen?
Just a thought...buy a £2k bike and they won't be interested.It works for me! (thumbs)
IMG_20160718_094615_2017-03-11.jpg
IMG_20160718_094615_2017-03-11.jpg (50.11 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
Rangoonruns

Post by Rangoonruns »

We shouldnt have to buy a cheaper bike, we need a real deterrent across the board, now i am not on about hangin, just croppin fingers with garden secaturs will work.
cue the liberals.....lol

rant over but i still think about the bike i had took 20 years later and i am still boiling!!!
mabawza

Post by mabawza »

Nae good if you want to get away from all that shit I have a house and croft for sale in the North West highlands :woohoo: right in the middle of the NC 500 route. Can't remember a bike been stolen up here in the past thirty years dirty bast**** Tool yourself up with some chickens, a couple of pigs and plant some spuds sorted, Oh and a workshop for about 6 or eight bikes, just pM me (thumbs)
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

It's true, you shouldn't have to buy a cheaper bike "just so it won't get robbed". That's not right, its also like saying ill never have a nice house unless it gets burgled or a nice car...in fact anything nice, just in case.
In cases like this I think the Yanks have got it right. You catch somebody on your property stealing something you have the right to shoot them or torture them or do whatever.(maybe not the torture thing).
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

You're right you shouldn't have to buy a cheaper bike to avoid it being stolen but if that's what I had to do to continue with my passion I would.I wouldn't just give up riding because I can't use a £15k bike.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

felco wrote:Motorcycle theft protection group on Facebook!! lets all join :whistle:
What does a Theft Protest group do ??

All sit and moan together??
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
GB

Post by GB »

johnnyboxer wrote:
felco wrote:Motorcycle theft protection group on Facebook!! lets all join :whistle:
What does a Theft Protest group do ??

All sit and moan together??
Much like here then :whistle:
Finally back on a GS :D
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I feel your pain - back in '92 we sold our wonderful house because we were getting burgled every three months - the CID bloke, who by then we were on first name terms with, said that they come back when they reckon the insurance has paid up and you've replaced all your stuff and the only real answer was to move - which led to our coming to Spain eventually ...

But I'm mainly signing up to this to test the waters, so to speak; a bit of a pipe dream is to hire a secure premises here in the Pyrenees so folks can store their bikes, clobber, etc. have tyres, etc. delivered if they like and a simple workshop facility available - I'm not a mechanic so wouldn't touch someone's bike!

The location is ideal for the Pyrenees - obviously! - but all of Spain, Portugal, Southern France including Corsica and even Morocco in that it's nearer to the Straits ferries than Santander is. There are direct public transport links to Barcelona, including taxis tat cost the same as the coach and will collect at that airport, which has in excess of 50 budget flights per day from UK and benelux countries - even a pick up service perhaps ...

No room for secure car parking but on street parking would be fine in the short term - it's 14 hours by car fro the main Channel ports, less if you pay the French tolls.

So, what's the down side? It would cost in excess of €8K per annum which is money I can't commit to unless I had a break even supply of certain interest.

So, any thoughts peeps?

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “TRAVEL”