Crash caught on helmet cam

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
Andy A

Re: Crash caught on helmet cam

Post by Andy A »

I think the bikes biggest problem was his speed...... He was going too slow, had he been doing 60mph he would have been well past the junction before the van arrived (thumbs)
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I've had a few close calls, riding every day it's to be expected, once very similar to this. I instinctively managed to avoid it, there was no time for anticipation or planning & I certainly didn't aim to accelerate up a bank & bounce off a hedge back onto the road. A less powerful bike straight under the wheels of a Range Rover, a heavier bike I'd have kept going through & into a ditch at speed. You can't plan that, you're either lucky or not so :pinch:

From the video it looks like his instinct (in that instant) was to panic (it took him by surprise). He didn't do anything 'wrong' the van driver did that for him.

Glad he survived & agree an £80 fine is pathetic :(
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Old Git Ray wrote:Aside from the poor sod on the bike, I just love these vids.

They bring out all the perfect riding Gods that I would love to be as superior as.

I love the way they disect every minute angle and frame and make split second decisions whilst re-running the video again and again from their arm chairs.

I wish I had a brain that could slow down every accident that I have had and allow me to negate thinking and reaction times all together and look in fracions of a second for a way out of a situation
Like the guy in the vid. I bet he was thinking...."hmmm, hard static brick wall to the left and right, or relatively soft front crumple zone of van" and then decided, Na, fuck it, I'll just shout "Arghhh" and ram that fucking van off the road.

Perfect riders, I live in awe of you... :whistle:
I'd tend to agree Ray.The first time I watched the video I just thought he was lucky to get off with a fractured elbow.I don't think he had much time to react.He was already at the junction when he shouted.Of course when you keep playing it back and pausing you can see he might have been able to swerve to avoid it. :unsure:
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Mac 60 wrote:I wasent going to comment on this because of an accident i witnessed ten years ago which took the life of a friend. Same kind of incident, car cut across in front of a group of riders not just one. Their was no speeding involved but i still believe the lead riders quick reflex cost his life as he swerved around the car into oncoming traffic. He was literally smashed to bits and took his last breaths with his club mates and his brother around him. I truly believe if he,d braked hard he would have still have collided with the car that cut across him but at a very low speed rather than meet a car head on doing near the national speed limit. After a long military career i agree training can help but it dosent mean you will make the right choice every time. There are to many other factors at play. A tactic is only right after it has worked and as this guy survived with light injurys then his tactic worked this time. IMHO.
Indeed, and I'm really sorry to hear this, but can I just make this VERY CLEAR.

I would have swerved right IN THIS SCENARIO ON THIS VIDEO. There is no oncoming traffic at the national speed limit. You can see the car behind the van.

He has three choices, 1) hit the van 2) swerve left and risk the van which is moving in that direction hitting him in the leg and sending towards the brick wall 3) swerve right and either stop before the second car, or go down left or right hand side of second car, or if he's unlucky have a much less serious collision with the second car.

Had the guy on this video done 3) he may have escaped with no injuries.

As it was he was definitely getting some injuries, so his tactic didn't work this time IMO. Besides I'm not sure the was any tactic or riding plan in his head, he just saw a van, after it started to cross his path, and jumped on the brakes in panic.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Old Git Ray wrote:Aside from the poor sod on the bike, I just love these vids.

They bring out all the perfect riding Gods that I would love to be as superior as.

I love the way they disect every minute angle and frame and make split second decisions whilst re-running the video again and again from their arm chairs.

I wish I had a brain that could slow down every accident that I have had and allow me to negate thinking and reaction times all together and look in fracions of a second for a way out of a situation.

Like the guy in the vid. I bet he was thinking...."hmmm, hard static brick wall to the left and right, or relatively soft front crumple zone of van" and then decided, Na, fuck it, I'll just shout "Arghhh" and ram that fucking van off the road.

Really helpful post OGR......NOT.

What did having a pop at me achieve for you?

Have I been sarcastic or insulted anybody?
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

The junction was there, the van was slowing down, the van was positioning to the right of his lane, he probably even had his indicator though we can't see it in the video.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise when he started to turn, just from the fact there is a junction and a slow vehicle coming the other way should be ringing alarm bells, and you can cut some speed, adjust your position to help him see you, and start to anticipate and form a riding plan "if he turns in there now, what am I going to do?"

And that is what getting advanced training would teach you. It can't determine the outcome, but it can teach you do something other than fail to anticipate, get a surprise, and react in panic mode.

There's no point berating a rider who does this in his riding, has very few near misses, and has stayed rubber side down for years as a result, as a riding god. Maybe that's a rider you should be listening to. Or are you too fucking arrogant, so you just insult him instead?

My last post on this thread. I should have learned by now not to talk about this kind of thing on a forum, because nobody except those who ride in the same way ever understand it. They just take it as criticism instead of advice, and they say it's not possible or there isn't time.

Well more fool them, let them go have accidents, not my problem.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

The rider had another option here -

Just before impact he could have asked Scotty to beam him up.

Failing that, when he got home he could have put an entry in his diary simply saying 'bugger'
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

It's helpful for us to see videos like this.....I'll certainly make sure I'm covering both brakes and rolling-off in anticipation of something similar happening, not saying I'd be able to stop in time or take meaningful evasive action but I could certainly lessen the impact speed.
Glad to here the biker got away with "just" a fractured elbow.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

-Ralph- wrote:
Old Git Ray wrote:.....

Really helpful post OGR......NOT.

What did having a pop at me achieve for you?

Have I been sarcastic or insulted anybody?
Come on Ralph, if you are going to give a controversial opinion and big yourself up (I have lost count of the times you have reminded the forum that you are an advanced rider) then you should expect some sarcasm.

Besides, it was just a sarcastic wind up hence the :whistle: at the end.

However, it reminds me of many parallels, having been stood in the witness box at Crown court on many occasions being cross examined by numerous barristers, including Michael Mansfield QC, there are similarities of people slowly and meticulously pouring over evidence of incidents, and pointing accusing fingers, for which the initial decision to act was taken in seconds.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

-Ralph- wrote:The junction was there, the van was slowing down, the van was positioning to the right of his lane, he probably even had his indicator though we can't see it in the video.
I don't see any evidence the van was obviously slowing down.He didn't position to the right of his lane either,just swung across in one movement and I've no idea why you would assume he probably had his indicator on. :unsure:

Return to “VIDEOS”