Crash caught on helmet cam

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
Teflon Jnr

Re: Crash caught on helmet cam

Post by Teflon Jnr »

You obviously don't ridea in rush hour traffic in a busy area
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Teflon Jnr wrote:You obviously don't ridea in rush hour traffic in a busy area
Hahaha! Ever tried the A14 between Huntindon and Cambridge at 8 in the morning? Or the M25 between the M1 and the A3 between 7 and 9 o clock. Or coming back through Guildford at 5 o clock and hitting the M25 at 6?

I didn't get to a 1000 miles a month by riding in circles round the countryside. It's commuting to work and filtering traffic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I'm sorry I bow to your greatnes
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

You need to watch the video again. The second car is practically stationary when the van turns. The angle of the van is not such that you could faceplant the side of it. Your arguing a completely imaginary scenario.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

-Ralph- wrote:
Yoyo wrote:The concern for me about swerving to the right is where the blame goes if you have a collision, as it stands it's black and white, van driver at fault but if I swerve around the van and hit a biker waiting to turn right behind the van surely some blame is going to come my way, all of a sudden it's less black and white. The rider got off quite lightly, a guy on the S10 forum had the same happen to him but he is badly injured and thanks to his injuries he will never ride again. Be safe out there!
The van would still have caused the accident.

It's not about blame though really, the van driver is clearly at fault, it's about minimising potential damages to your body.

I'd have swerved right too
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
pseddon147

Post by pseddon147 »

80quid fine and 5 penalty points - effin rediculous!
No deterent.

he could have killed this guy
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

I wasent going to comment on this because of an accident i witnessed ten years ago which took the life of a friend. Same kind of incident, car cut across in front of a group of riders not just one. Their was no speeding involved but i still believe the lead riders quick reflex cost his life as he swerved around the car into oncoming traffic. He was literally smashed to bits and took his last breaths with his club mates and his brother around him. I truly believe if he,d braked hard he would have still have collided with the car that cut across him but at a very low speed rather than meet a car head on doing near the national speed limit. After a long military career i agree training can help but it dosent mean you will make the right choice every time. There are to many other factors at play. A tactic is only right after it has worked and as this guy survived with light injurys then his tactic worked this time. IMHO.
gooseneck

Post by gooseneck »

Mac, that's tragic, but your post is bang on.
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

I know that junction well. I could not make out a flashing indicator on the van and it did cut the corner.

The camera image had the van almost bleached out and it would have been more visible to the rider than it looks in the video. This may have provided an opportunity for the rider to assess the situation better than we can. If so, then the clues were there as is often the case with hindsight.

I'm not criticising the rider at all here but for every accident like this, when we look back at it there is always SOMETHING we could have done that may have allowed us to avoid a collision. In this example, maybe the road positioning of the van, the extended braking distance due to going downhill etc. We can all learn from videos like this and I'm glad it's out there.

Jon
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Aside from the poor sod on the bike, I just love these vids.

They bring out all the perfect riding Gods that I would love to be as superior as.

I love the way they disect every minute angle and frame and make split second decisions whilst re-running the video again and again from their arm chairs.

I wish I had a brain that could slow down every accident that I have had and allow me to negate thinking and reaction times all together and look in fracions of a second for a way out of a situation.

Like the guy in the vid. I bet he was thinking...."hmmm, hard static brick wall to the left and right, or relatively soft front crumple zone of van" and then decided, Na, fuck it, I'll just shout "Arghhh" and ram that fucking van off the road.

Perfect riders, I live in awe of you... :whistle:

Return to โ€œVIDEOSโ€