Crash caught on helmet cam

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
PaulinBont

Crash caught on helmet cam

Post by PaulinBont »

news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-39203190
Oop North John

Re: Crash caught on helmet cam

Post by Oop North John »

PaulinBont wrote:news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-39203190
Full link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-39203190
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Difficult to see the white van in the glare of the sun until it was too late :S
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

sssssss ouch!!
JJay51

Post by JJay51 »

Nigel wrote:Difficult to see the white van in the glare of the sun until it was too late :S
Thats more than likely the camera's viewpoint having difficulty adjusting exposure fast enough in and out of trees however in reality the rider would probably have had full sight though not sure what relevance that has as the van driver was clearly at fault.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Hope the biker has a decent personal injury claim payout to cover time off work, care received and for the injury as well as the stress caused by the accident!

Aside from the bike repair of course.

Same accident happened to me on my versys at 20mph. Old biddie in her fiat didn't see me coming and I plowed into the side of her car. Fell off and bike crushed my foot. Had concussion to boot and was breathalised as they thought I was drunk! Despite having a broken foot etc, still picked up my bike to clear the road. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
boatman

Post by boatman »

That's the reason that the front of my bikes have extra lights, I have seen this same accident just in front of me ,but the fella was killed instantly
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Can't see if the van had his indicator on or not, but his speed and positioning clearly displayed his intention to turn into that junction, and if the rider had counter steered hard right instead of shouting arrrgggh and jumping on the brakes, he'd have swerved round the right hand side of the van.

Advanced training folks, it doesn't matter who's fault it was once your dead.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Andy A

Post by Andy A »

-Ralph- wrote:Can't see if the van had his indicator on or not, but his speed and positioning clearly displayed his intention to turn into that junction, and if the rider had counter steered hard right instead of shouting arrrgggh and jumping on the brakes, he'd have swerved round the right hand side of the van.

Had he steered right he could have swerved round the van and into a bike undertaking and obscured by the van doing 40 mph and still be dead, and a dry stone wall. I wouldn't be looking to swerve into the opposite lane without a clear view, but then again I am not an advanced rider, I have been riding 30 years though including two as a courier.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Andy A wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:Can't see if the van had his indicator on or not, but his speed and positioning clearly displayed his intention to turn into that junction, and if the rider had counter steered hard right instead of shouting arrrgggh and jumping on the brakes, he'd have swerved round the right hand side of the van.

Had he steered right he could have swerved round the van and into a vehicle undertaking and obscured by the van doing 40 mph and still be dead. I wouldn't be looking to swerve into the opposite lane without a clear view, but then again I am not an advanced rider, I have been riding 30 years though including two as a courier.
He could, but he's having a head on collision anyway. You take every avoiding action available to you, until you run out of options and hit something, but try to choose the least bad thing to hit.

If I had got two choices, definitely hit the van, or take my chances with something that might or might not be behind the van, I know which I'd choose. You'd go round the van as close as you could and get back on your own side of the road anyway, you wouldn't just swerve right and then head into the opposite side of the road.

There is actually a car behind in this instance, but he'd need to be passing pretty close not to leave enough gap for a bike to get through, at the very least you might get a deflection accident as opposed to a head on.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “VIDEOS”