Is this a new low for the Police

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Cone

Post by Cone »

Past two police officers today, hiding behind a fence and a wall speed checking cars travelling away from them. Totally blind from view!

Is this a new low for the South Wales Police!!

KN0BBY

Re: Is this a new low for the Police

Post by KN0BBY »

No, not a by a long chalk
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

No, police are allowed to covertly speed trap, it's just the camera partnership that have to be highly visible.

And as much as I wouldn't like it if I get caught I can't argue with the tactic. It's been a long time since people stuck to the limit "in case they got caught", when you live in a world where everyone knows when they are or aren't getting caught, then everyone speeds.

The question I'd ask to decide if it's a low trick is were they doing it at a dangerous accident blackspot, or was it on a perfectly safe section of road where the sense of security gets your granny to put her foot down, and so they catch as many drivers as possible in as short a time as possible.

In other words was the speed trap there for road safety? Or was it there to generate revenue and meet targets?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Not a great picture but looks like they are actually checking traffic coming towards them....the one on the left appears to be pointing the gun up the road .....
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Now I've seen the photo, looks like a residential 30 limit? Lots of driveways, side streets, possibly kids around?

Sorry, you get caught speeding through there you deserve it, however sneaky the police are.

Stick to any limit with a red ring round it (except 50's where there no good reason for it not to be NSL), then when the NSL comes GLF.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Oldie

Post by Oldie »

So, what if they were waiting to catch a terrorist, or a mugger, would it still be a new low?

Why do so many people think that it's somehow unfair to be caught breaking the law?

If you think that speeding is ok, then start a campaign to change the law.
IainD

Post by IainD »

Suspect they would be checking both ways.

Best fail of a sneaky Traffic Cop was when I was heading from Malton back to Hull via Beverley after an evening run.

There are a few bits where you can see for a good distance.

Half a mile ahead I saw a yellow jacket disappear behind a hedge and thought it was a farmer. As I approached, up sprang a Traffic Cop with a radar gun. I had slowed down to about forty as I wondered if the farmer was about to re-appear. I was laughing so much I could only just give him a wave as I drifted past.

He must have been gutted, hiding behind a hedge, getting his adrenaline up with the thrill of the chase, for me to pootle past at 40.

Great little chippy in Wetwang too,.
herman

Post by herman »

Best not go to France then I have seen them in camo. That said its always at black spots or entry to towns.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Trevor Twobikes

Post by Trevor Twobikes »

Scum on the make - a revenue exercise. If they were really interested in safety they would be standing on the pavement in full view. When the police and the government can accept that a fast driver is not necessarily a dangerous driver and that a slow driver is not necessarily a safe driver then progress can be made. I should point out that I have no
penalty points against me and never have.

Trevor
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Nothing new there, first time I got caught (nearly 20 years ago), the occifer was hiding behind a hedge, his police motorcycle was parked on the playing field behind the hedge totally out of view :huh:
one-legged adventurer

Return to “THE PUB”