Camping newbie!

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
thebiggestjolly

Camping newbie!

Post by thebiggestjolly »

Well I had a giant post prepared, but after an hour or so in this forum I think I have some answers already, but I'll post it anyway!

As the title suggests, I'm new to camping and looking for some advice. I think I've been camping 3 times in my life so far. Once as a very young kid, once as a teenager, and once fell asleep in a tent whilst drunk, so I doubt that counts. I’ve never even done the whole festival thing, so I really don’t know much.

I’ve just bought a Transalp 650, and a friend and I are looking to make a trip to Finland and back this summer, camping most of the way. He has done a bit of camping and has some knowledge, but it’s always useful to get information from people who know more! I tried using the UK Campsite Forum, but didn’t get as many helpful replies as I do here, so thought I’d try here as well.

Tents: I am tall (6'5), and I was originally looking at tents I could stand up in. Having now looked at some tents and compared pack size and weight, I have ditched that idea. As long as there is a porch big enough for the two of us to sit in, that’ll be ok. My mates tent is a bit smaller, so having a dry communal area would be useful on wet nights. My favourite at the moment is the Vango Omega 350. Tent Big enough for sleeping, plenty space for gear, big enough porch, quick enough to pitch, good price (listed at 240 but available elsewhere for 150ish) etc. Unless everyone comes back and says “No thats a stupid idea” I’ll probably go with it. But what does everyone else use? It’s just me and my mate, in separate tents, but eventually the missus might fancy coming along so having something big enough for the both of us would be good.

Sleeping bags, being a tall, not skinny man, I was considering a double. I never got on well with sleeping bags in the past, and being able to open it in a duvet might be best for me. 3 season should be enough? Brands to look at/avoid? Any help here would be appreciated. Is it stupid to get a double bag for single use, thinking heat retention. It’ll be a bigger roll, but not significantly heavier. After looking at other posts here I guess I should be looking for down bags, but mos of them are mummy shape, which is my least favourite. But maybe I should just get over it!

Whilst looking around GO Outdoors the other day I found a self inflating mat I liked. The Freedom Trail Deluxe XL. Mat 5cm thick, nice and comfy, and although wide, I was able to fold it in half along the length then roll it into a wider but shorter roll which might be more manageable. It has valves on each side making rolling quite easy. And it fits comfortably in the Omega tent.

Again at GO Outdoors they had a nice looking little chair, Chair two of which fitted in the Omega porch. The OEX Ultra Lite. Packs away to really small, and although I do exceed the max load, it felt really sturdy.

Stove, tools, accessories, luxuries, the must-haves, gadgets, things you can’t do without, recommend away. I have a few months still, and a lot of time to investigate, although I would like a practice run to Wales / Scotland in May.

Thanks in advance,
Jolly
Brenhden

Re: Camping newbie!

Post by Brenhden »

Hello Jolly,

Welcome to the world of camping, everyone has there own opinions on camping gear and very few people agree. One thing most of us like is the Helinox style chair. The one in your link is very similar and the material at the bottom is a great upgrade as they do sink a bit. Tent looks good too, big porch is a must.

If you are staying on tarmac then weight isn't too much of a concern but if you are venturing off the black stuff you need to consider lighter gear.

I thought I knew it all about camping as an ex Scoutleader and general happy camper but when I went to my first ABR camp I learnt some great tricks from other adventurers. Worth heading to one and seeing what others are doing (thumbs)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Oh good a camping thread lol...best chair are helinox copies off ebay ..lots of posta about them on here somewhere....best matt are 5cm either cheap ebay or thermarest base camp are good...

Tent i used for years oj my alp was a vango equinix 250 ...front clear window delaminated ..now have a coleman but not a huge porch...in the vango i could have 2 panniers and a seat but im 5'10 lol...maybe a wanted thread would get a good deal as some real tent collectors on here...lol..

How do you like the alp so far...mine did 200mls.to a.tank then pushing..
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Get a porch area just big enough for your gear and a tarp to sit under.
Better still pitch the tents facing each other and put the tarp between them to sit under.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Ive got the Helinox Chair, awesome little thing, very light, strong and easy to put up, a good £80 well spent.
As for a tent the Hubba MSR tent is the dogs but need deeper pockets, size is everything on a camping trip.
MSR light multifuel cooker for me brekkie..again, never let me down and well rated.

I looked around go outdoors before and its not the best, ideal for caravanning but for bikes there was virtually nothing. you need to aim for Light/strong/small.

I bought a Rab synthetic insulated sleeping bag recently, shaved off 2 kg of my Old Coleman and its not down filled so packs up much smaller and has more weather resistant.
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Best bit of kit to have is called a 'credit card, most banks supply them, this amazing bit of kit keeps you warm, feeds you decent food and supplies you a comfy nights sleep away from noisy Bikers, Kids and other campers getting up for a slash all through the night, not to mention barking dogs, buzzing insects. Then in the morning you get up have a shit shower and a shave all fresh, sit infront of a lovely breakfast. But the best bit is not having to carry shit loads of gear, your bike is running at a premium not weighed down with the kitchen sink and your Helinox chair.

Try it, it really works !! :whistle: :whistle: (thumbs)

Sarge
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Sleepig bag....ive a elite 4 with expandable baffle...bloody warm and easy to vent ...long too...compact size as well....cooker just use gas lol

And i love camping especially the wild type in a wood by a stream or on a mountain....a tent gives you freedom....sod hotels .
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Tramp wrote:Sleepig bag....ive a elite 4 with expandable baffle...bloody warm and easy to vent ...long too...compact size as well....cooker just use gas lol

And i love camping especially the wild type in a wood by a stream or on a mountain....a tent gives you freedom....sod hotels .
For clarity, I didn't mention nor was I referring to hotels Russ, but each to their own (thumbs)
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

The Sarge wrote:Best bit of kit to have is called a 'credit card, most banks supply them, this amazing bit of kit keeps you warm, feeds you decent food and supplies you a comfy nights sleep away from noisy Bikers, Kids and other campers getting up for a slash all through the night, not to mention barking dogs, buzzing insects. Then in the morning you get up have a shit shower and a shave all fresh, sit infront of a lovely breakfast. But the best bit is not having to carry shit loads of gear, your bike is running at a premium not weighed down with the kitchen sink and your Helinox chair.

Sarge
^^^^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^^^
By the time you've spent shed loads of cash on camping gear, you could have had many nights comfortable in a hotel/guesthouse
boatman

Post by boatman »

The Sarge wrote:Best bit of kit to have is called a 'credit card, most banks supply them, this amazing bit of kit keeps you warm, feeds you decent food and supplies you a comfy nights sleep away from noisy Bikers, Kids and other campers getting up for a slash all through the night, not to mention barking dogs, buzzing insects. Then in the morning you get up have a shit shower and a shave all fresh, sit infront of a lovely breakfast. But the best bit is not having to carry shit loads of gear, your bike is running at a premium not weighed down with the kitchen sink and your Helinox chair.

Sarge
Fella would need a turbocharged credit card for Scandinavia, VERY VERY expensive there (thumbs)

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”