Can you recommend a decent route from Calais to Luxembourg?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

Hi

I am heading down to Switzerland with a few pals in June and am looking for a decent route between Calais and Luxembourg. Can anyone recommend anything? We have all day so nirvana would be quieter back roads, but I'll take any insights on offer!

From Luxembourg we are sorted (Route des Cretes, Swiss passes, B500, Spa, Bruges).

Cheers
Andy
Spike941

Re: Can you recommend a decent route from Calais to Luxembourg?

Post by Spike941 »

A few years back rode from Zurich to Calais via Luxembourg, never again. Crap weather so just followed the satnav on quickest route. Unfortunately so did all the HGV's enroute to Calais having filled up to the brim with cheaper fuel in Luxembourg. Wet roads and spilt diesel all the way to Calais made for some interesting riding. So yes, opt for scenic route, but do remember to fill up yourselves there and save a few pence. Doing that route myself in June this year, but plan on sticking to Northern France.
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

Belgian motorway to Namur as there isn't a pretty way, then off motorway to Bastogne, through the Ardennes to Ettelbruck and down to Luxembourg city or if you're not bothered about staying in the city carry on from Ettelbruck to Echternach and then pick up your route to Switzerland.
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

Thanks both. I'll follow that route Tourider, just what I needed.

Cheers
Andy
hornet

Post by hornet »

If you have time head to Rocroi then you can head east to boulioun (spelling?) Really nice route it's easier to see on a map

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
briantheb

Post by briantheb »

Just a suggestion as just about any route through the Ardennes is worth riding.
As stated get across Belgium to Namaur then head towards La Roche en Ardennes perhaps on the N888 (good place to lunch and all the roads in and out are worth exploring). N860 to Houffalize then down towards Bastogne and head across Luxembourg and pick up your identified route. Hoping you have a great trip.

Return to “TRAVEL”