Greece Ancient Momument tour.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
WillS

Re: Greece Ancient Momument tour.

Post by WillS »

Sounds like a real adventure Brenhden, hope all goes well.
It's been 20+ years since I visited Greece, and really enjoyed it.
Look forward to the photos, video and full ride report!! :whistle:
Will
cadoganpier

Post by cadoganpier »

Wow, I did a very similar trip about 28 years ago as an 18 year old school boy. From memory I rented an old Honda 400 Super Dream. At the time I was doing a classics A level and focussed on Greek Architecture. I was amazed by how accessible most of the sites where and just how much archeology there was, hopefully it's still the same. One thing I do remember was how slippy the tarmac was though that could have been the 80's ditch finders fitted to the hire shit box I was riding. Still love to do that trip again, I felt like Indiana bloody Jones.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

cadoganpier wrote:Wow, I did a very similar trip about 28 years ago as an 18 year old school boy. From memory I rented an old Honda 400 Super Dream. At the time I was doing a classics A level and focussed on Greek Architecture. I was amazed by how accessible most of the sites where and just how much archeology there was, hopefully it's still the same. One thing I do remember was how slippy the tarmac was though that could have been the 80's ditch finders fitted to the hire shit box I was riding. Still love to do that trip again, I felt like Indiana bloody Jones.
God I wish I'd done stuff like this when I was 18.

"Ditch finders" :laugh:
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
600+

Post by 600+ »

Brenhden wrote:
The bike is an Inazuma. I think I got a discount as I'm there early 30/03 to 04/04 and it's about 36€ a day with roadside cover, insurance, lock, top box, helmet and 250km a day. They had lots to hire and seem more reputable than the usual moped types. Motorent.gr

I'll let you know how goes. Not sure about a rental helmet so I've asked for photos. Without taking my own I can go hand luggage only which is cool although I reckon I could squeeze in a p!sspot...
For what is worth and I don't know who these people are - no matter how friendly they appear apply the same diligence as you would with any car/bike rental company. Absolutely ask to pay extra for the insurance waiver so that if anything goes wrong you can just walk away!!!

Test ride the bike before you embark on your trip and make sure everything works as it should. Considering you are renting one of the most common bikes expect that it has been thrashed!

Greek drivers are much more aware of bikes filtering, especially in big cities, but at the same time they are much more aggressive and will happily knock you over if it comes to that. A court of law would take years to happen and so it's not really an issue...unless one is seriously hurt.

If you need a translator drop me a pm and I will give you my UK number. Feel free to call me if you need anything while out there. I'll do my best to help.
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

A tour of Greece and the Greek Islands on my bike is on the bucket list.
Ride for a few hours a day then dip in the sea, Kleftiko at night...sounds like a dream.
Have a good one.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
Redsoul

Post by Redsoul »

Rode to Greece last year and did some of what is on your list,really enjoyed Olympia and Delphi...the temple/area of Apollo was really cool.
Was a real slog riding to Greece and back though the ferry from Italy to Greece was fun even though it's always late.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

600+ wrote:
For what is worth and I don't know who these people are - no matter how friendly they appear apply the same diligence as you would with any car/bike rental company. Absolutely ask to pay extra for the insurance waiver so that if anything goes wrong you can just walk away!!!

Test ride the bike before you embark on your trip and make sure everything works as it should. Considering you are renting one of the most common bikes expect that it has been thrashed!

Greek drivers are much more aware of bikes filtering, especially in big cities, but at the same time they are much more aggressive and will happily knock you over if it comes to that. A court of law would take years to happen and so it's not really an issue...unless one is seriously hurt.

If you need a translator drop me a pm and I will give you my UK number. Feel free to call me if you need anything while out there. I'll do my best to help.
Thank you very much 600+ that's some great advise and a kind offer. Just the sort of thing that makes this forum so good. I will be avoiding cities and main roads as much as possible.

Bren :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
gspod

Post by gspod »

I shall look forward to this write up.

I too did a few of these sites in my school days as a classics scholar - would have been about 1978/79, I remember our Greek teacher was extremely excited about introducing us to kebabs in Athens :laugh:

Popped into Northern Greece a few years ago after Bulgaria, but a trip like this has been on my mind for many many years (thumbs) (thumbs)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

spiros kabab house corfu town is a must, one pile of bricks is like another but a good donna well (thumbs)
steve
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Planning to join the "lads" in Bulgaria in a couple of months--but I will go overland--and probably on my Yam WR--and camp where I can-and smell the spring flowers---I'm looking at a ferry from Italy to Northern Greece --and then potter along for a bit and turn left for Bulgaria.

Return to β€œTRAVEL”