Nordkapp Solo

Where you've been and what you done
barak666

Re: Nordkapp Solo

Post by barak666 »

Great ride report - many thanks for posting. Heading to Nordkapp myself this September....doing it the same way as you to try and beat the weather.....only difference is I've pre-booked huts on my route. :)
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

barak666 wrote:Great ride report - many thanks for posting. Heading to Nordkapp myself this September....doing it the same way as you to try and beat the weather.....only difference is I've pre-booked huts on my route. :)
SEPTEMBER!! Paul from Takoda Campsite tried it in September and turned back before half way due to the temperatures, ice and snow. I think there is a RR somewhere here. If not its in his book. I hope you know what you are doing.
boatman

Post by boatman »

As above ,, SEPTEMBER ! ! :unsure: :unsure:
Been twice June one year ,snow at the top as per pic a few posts back , and July which was much better
The summers are very short way up there (thumbs)
boatman

Post by boatman »

AustinW wrote:
barak666 wrote:Great ride report - many thanks for posting. Heading to Nordkapp myself this September....doing it the same way as you to try and beat the weather.....only difference is I've pre-booked huts on my route. :)
SEPTEMBER!! Paul from Takoda Campsite tried it in September and turned back before half way due to the temperatures, ice and snow. I think there is a RR somewhere here. If not its in his book. I hope you know what you are doing.
Talking of Paul does anyone know how he is getting on ?
AndyH1

Post by AndyH1 »

Don't discount September, I watched the forecast during September 2015 and it was mostly good. This year I set off on the 11th September travelling Newcastle to Amsterdam then up to Hirshalls and over to Kristiansand where it was 23c.
I saw very little rain until Lofoten, North of the arctic circle it dropped cooler but stayed sunny. Nordkapp was about 4c (23rd September).
The route back was via Helsinki, the Baltic states, Poland & Germany.
Campsites were easy to find in Norway but mostly closed in Finland, the Baltics & Poland.
As others have said if you take lots of meals then the trip can be relatively cheap.
Andy
AlanQ

Post by AlanQ »

It'd be do-able in September but you'd be taking a bit of a chance with the weather. I followed a blog from a crazy Italian guy that did it in January on a Vespa (different crazy guy from the one in my RR, I met this chap on the Stella the year before)
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

AlanQ wrote:It'd be do-able in September but you'd be taking a bit of a chance with the weather. I followed a blog from a crazy Italian guy that did it in January on a Vespa (different crazy guy from the one in my RR, I met this chap on the Stella the year before)
Was that the guy staying at the same hotel as you guys? If so that Vespa was awesome
AlanQ

Post by AlanQ »

bond_yzf wrote:Was that the guy staying at the same hotel as you guys? If so that Vespa was awesome
Yes mate, same guy!
barak666

Post by barak666 »

AustinW wrote:
September is the only time I can get three weeks off work so I've got to go with it. Plan is to be at Nordkapp by the 8th/9th then work south for the next two weeks. I was in Norway last September and closely followed the weather in Nordkapp.....it was cool but dry, so I'm hoping for the same. :)

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”