Newer isn't always better

The Things We Ride
bigfoot

Newer isn't always better

Post by bigfoot »

Hi All

recently the Wife and I flew out to New Zealand and rode both islands for 4 weeks. While there we hired 2 (nearly new) Triumph Tiger 800XC's.

The bikes were superb - and I started to get that new bike itch (as did the wife).

Fast forward to getting home and my 2008 DL1000 was due for an MOT, so out I went in the January cold.

Then the realisation - I've had the bike that long that everything that can be changed to suit me has. I was far comfier on it and everything seemed to be were it needed to be.

Also, any little glitches I've ironed out.

I started thinking, to but something new would take a small fortune and time to get something as good as I've got now. So it's staying!!

Worried that I may still have to fork out for a new bike for her ladyship, I was relieved that, when she took her helmet off, her massive grin and words of "I wish I took this (650 v strom) to New Zealand" would save me a small fortune.

And I have to say, that is one of the best feelings ever :)

Anyone else had this?
qcnr

Re: Newer isn't always better

Post by qcnr »

Better the devil you know :)
Even though the showrooms do tempt from time to time.
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

O yes. I've had my Transalp 700 for coming up to 3 years now and just about got it sorted for my own needs. Every so often I take a look around the local show rooms and there is usually something that catches my eye but when I get home and have a think about it I just can't see the reason to change just for the sake of it. Sad really. :dry:

Nick.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

3 years, i've had my 98 XL600V for nearly 5 years now. :P
Still enjoy riding it :cheer:
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Er , How much was it to hire the Triumphs and which end did you start AKL or CHC?
Ta.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

This triumph I bought new in May 2006, prior to that the Honda I had I owned it for 19yrs. My VW car I've owned 5yrs, and its predecessor I owned for 15yrs. As a typical Yorkshireman I like to get my money's worth out of things :laugh:
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

steve the grease wrote:Er , How much was it to hire the Triumphs and which end did you start AKL or CHC?
Ta.
Last time I was there I used a good guy in Christchurch if you are looking to start from there

Thank you for your enquiry. Can I assume by the 955 in your email address you are a Triumph fan?

Your 2 selections for bikes are almost at oppoiste ends of my bike fleet for rates. The DR650 for 21 to 28 days during December/January will be NZ$95.00/day and for the other end, the Triumph Tiger 800 is NZ$170.00/day. These rates include a set of hard luggage for the Tiger and soft luggage for the DR, insurance and roadside breakdown assistance.

There is a security/insurance bond of NZ$1500.00 for the DR and NZ$3500.00 for the Tiger. These are taken as a credit card imprint when you pick up the bike and nothing is debited from your card unless damage occurs during the rental.

I have both the XR and XC model Tigers availble. These are both the previous models though.

Thanks again for your enquiry and if you have any further questions please let me know.

Regards
Randal
the above is one guy I spoke to that should give you some idea

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I know what you are saying I looked at numerous options to replace my 955 and get a green laner I ended up keeping the Triumph and get a DR350 and I'm using the money saved to travel

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I agree. I was thinking about changing my 1150RT..so i test rode lots of things.

Sure they were faster with more electric toys but did the job just the same as my RT.

I've yet to find a bike that it so cheap, is so comfy and can handle better than the RT.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

My toys were continually being thrown out of the pram. I was a serial, impulsive bike buyer.
My head was continually being turned by the latest models. I can count 64 different bikes that I've owned since 1975 and I know I've forgotten some, these days I rarely have less than 5 bikes at any one time.
Classic "More money than sense" (and I'm not that rich)
However, things are changing. I can categorically state that the best "Adventure" bike is the BMW GS/GSA 800
and the best Trail/Enduro is the KTM 450exc.
I've stopped lusting after more power or more bling.
Nothing new (apart from the GP450) interests me.

Return to “BIKES”