Analogue Africa - Top to bottom just before the Internet

Where you've been and what you done
richeyroo

Re: Analogue Africa - Top to bottom just before the Internet

Post by richeyroo »

The following morning was spent repeatedly using a knackered, crappy old "underpowered the day it left the factory" 1969 Land Rover to try and pull the van out of the sea. It took all morning before Neil/Simon decided to give up before the beached Van tore the Land Rover in half. In the end the French couple paid the locals to use 2 4WDs belonging to local fisherman to pull the van up the beach. £100 the diary said. So we saved money because a Guide was £125.

At this point we were 40km from Nouakchott and once again we were keen to reach the city that night. Unfortunately the Peugeot Ambulance broke down and the BMW ran out of petrol. Both drivers piled into the Transit Van and we cracked on in near darkness for another 5km before the clutch gave up on the Van. We decided to camp where the Van was. It had been a long day.

With the arrival of cool morning air, the clutch in the Van was revived and the heroic Land Rover returned the 2 drivers to their respective vehicles (BMW/Peugeot Ambulance) with some petrol and whatever was necessary to fix the Ambulance. I forget.

We took the opportunity to rest in the shade of the Van and it is clear to see the damage that had been done by a night when it pretended to be a ship

Whatever it was that was needed worked and all 5 vehicles emerged victorious from the desert in to Nouakchott in the late afternoon. It seems all 10 members of the convoy slept in the same dormitory room that night which the diary describes as Very Sweet.

I can't remember how much we enjoyed it at the time. Reading the diary it seems quite fraught. But I'm glad we did it and glad that it wasn't easy
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Brilliant, thanks for this, I'm signed up and looking forwards to 'multitasking' in my study all day tomorrow ... :whistle:

Regs

Simon

PS did something similar, but ion an infinitely smaller scale, in Moroccos/Western Sahara back in about 1992/3 in a hired Renault 4 - oh happy days ... (thumbs)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
gbags

Post by gbags »

Great story, keep it coming.
richeyroo

Post by richeyroo »

gbags wrote:Great story, keep it coming.
Hi Gbags

I'm not sure it's worth the effort, I think there is more interest on here if a post a "what tent/mobile phone" thread
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

richeyroo wrote:
Hi Gbags

I'm not sure it's worth the effort, I think there is more interest on here if a post a "what tent/mobile phone" thread
Please keep it up.
hornet

Post by hornet »

Dude this is by far the best thing on the whole site please carry on

Or if you do a blog please share the link

Thanks for posting

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
royle100

Post by royle100 »

hornet wrote:Dude this is by far the best thing on the whole site please carry on

Or if you do a blog please share the link

Thanks for posting

Mike
agreed
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."....Easy Rider
deskjetian

Post by deskjetian »

richeyroo wrote:
Hi Gbags

Lot's of interest from me, please don't stop posting !
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

deskjetian wrote:
richeyroo wrote:
Hi Gbags

It's definitely worth the effort; for me it's also a most interesting thread along with 'Riding The Americas'. It makes a nice (and somewhat rare) change to have a thread actually relevant to the site's name :)
hornet

Post by hornet »

mark vb wrote:
deskjetian wrote:
richeyroo wrote:
Hi Gbags

It's definitely worth the effort; for me it's also a most interesting thread along with 'Riding The Americas'. It makes a nice (and somewhat rare) change to have a thread actually relevant to the site's name :)

Yup enjoying reading through the ongoing trails of onhellas journey

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”