Panniers.......... or "Enduro" Trailer?

The essential art of farkling.
sledgegreen

Re: Panniers.......... or "Enduro" Trailer?

Post by sledgegreen »

I have towed a trailer behind a bike, but mainly a two-wheel trailer. The only experience I have of towing a single wheel trailer s of a very little one. I have only towed on roads - no experience of trail riding with a trailer.

I find that it really has little effect on the handling of the bike (an R850GS) - certainly less than a heavy load of luggage on the bike itself. That is subject to one enormous proviso - you do need to load the trailer correctly. Get the centre of gravity too far back and it will be a pig to tow.

Of course, it is more difficult to filter with a trailer, but I rarely tow when commuting to work. When towing I am usually free to choose quiet times to travel - and I really don't want to fight heavy traffic when riding recreationally anyway.

Biggest advantage is that I can camp more comfortably than when I carry everything on the bike - a tent I can stand up in, plus a chair, plus a bed, etc etc. Like you, I like to camp in one place for a few days then move on, rather than move camp every day.

Have you visited the ADV Rider forum? There used to be a very long thread over there which was started by a guy who was developing a single wheel trailer for trail use. When he finalised his design he started marketing it, and it has proved to be very popular with the users of that forum. I haven't been to that forum much recently, so don't know what the current state of play is.

anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

think people on here are getting a bit nasty,if you haven't got anything constructive to say dont say it.dont forget we are not all experts he was asking a question dont think he wanted sarcastic answers.what is happening to this forum think its time the mods step in.my opinion only and i have more than likely spelt some of this wrong before the grammer police start. hope you get sorted mate what ever works for you is the right thing cheers tony.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

anthony29040 wrote:think people on here are getting a bit nasty,if you haven't got anything constructive to say dont say it.dont forget we are not all experts he was asking a question dont think he wanted sarcastic answers.what is happening to this forum think its time the mods step in.my opinion only and i have more than likely spelt some of this wrong before the grammer police start. hope you get sorted mate what ever works for you is the right thing cheers tony.
I will add that although I haven't used a trailer on a motorbike I sometimes tow one behind a bicycle and it's a lot better than being loaded up with panniers, and as for people taking the piss have you seen the size of some bikes with tin boxes on :ohmy:
Tourist-Biker

Post by Tourist-Biker »

anthony29040 wrote:think people on here are getting a bit nasty,if you haven't got anything constructive to say don't say it.dont forget we are not all experts he was asking a question dont think he wanted sarcastic answers.what is happening to this forum think its time the mods step in.my opinion only and i have more than likely spelt some of this wrong before the grammer police start. hope you get sorted mate what ever works for you is the right thing cheers tony.
Well said (thumbs)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I know someone who regularly pulled a trailer behind a Pan European and he always said it didn't affect the handling until it got over 100mph as long as he loaded it properly and didn't have his top box and panniers fitted to the bike. I wouldn't be too keen on taking one on a typical UK green lane with their mud and ruts but on gravel or shale why not?

Would it be worse than my outfit when I haven't got a passenger or any additional weight in the chair? I very much doubt it :pinch:
ratass

Post by ratass »

index.jpg
index.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
Heres mine hand built by me,dont even know its there,handles fine,done over 600 miles with this one.
Jb
steve_h80

Post by steve_h80 »

If you want to carry a lot why not a trailer?
Plenty of bikes out there with 3 boxes, bags on the boxes, tank bag, tank panniers and a bag on the back seat... even just for a coffee run :-)
James_Death

Post by James_Death »

tan650.... man that trailer mock up you put up looks fantastic i like it a lot the fact you had normal panniers if constructed like that you have the option of fitting them on the bike or the trailer....

Totally love it looks fantastic... oh did i say i like it.

Some people seam to have come to the conclusion i feel that you intended to tow the trailer off road.... i suppose it can be done...

However how i read your post is you carry all your gear on the trailer, set up camp and leave said trailer all secured etc to prevent theft mind.

Then simply take your now naked and much lighter bike off to explore the local trails come back enjoy a good brew etc and move on the next day to another camp site and repeat the trail exploring.

Great idea superb trailer design love the whole idea, go for it son.
Paul_XRV750

Post by Paul_XRV750 »

Met these guys in Sweden last year, they had ridden up from France. From what I could see, no problems at all on tarmac.
20150610_134656_Trailers.jpg
20150610_134656_Trailers.jpg (57.05 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
boatman

Post by boatman »

image_2016-12-19.jpeg
image_2016-12-19.jpeg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
image_2016-12-19.jpeg
anthony29040 wrote:think people on here are getting a bit nasty,if you haven't got anything constructive to say dont say it.dont forget we are not all experts he was asking a question dont think he wanted sarcastic answers.what is happening to this forum think its time the mods step in.my opinion only and i have more than likely spelt some of this wrong before the grammer police start. hope you get sorted mate what ever works for you is the right thing cheers tony.
I agree ,, nought wrong with a bit of piss taking banter ,,,,,,,,,,,, as appropriate.
Guy was asking about something quite legitimate.
I have ridden in the states and Canada quite a bit , because they can't filter in most states trailers are quit common.
I am guilty of having ,all the boxes,and tha bags on the top of the boxes, and bags on top of the bags
Attachments
image_2016-12-19.jpeg

Return to “ACCESSORIES”