klx 250

The Things We Ride
tracker

klx 250

Post by tracker »

In my quest for a trail bike I've been looking at the KLX 250. Has anyone got one or previously owned one?
I mean the newer version.
Rederic

Re: klx 250

Post by Rederic »

Not long got rid of mine great little green lane bike, theres one for sale in ABW manchester

PKLX.jpg
PKLX.jpg (24.64 KiB) Viewed 1977 times

[center]
bikewash.gif
bikewash.gif (2.43 MiB) Viewed 1977 times
[/center]
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I had one for a while, off road it was completely brilliant, it had great gears and soft suspension. On the road it had more front dive than I was used to and the smooth power delivery was a bit unexciting. Mine came with a race can and a power commander module. I sold it as the parts for conversion to an adventure bike weren't available.

Whilst I had it Rederic gave me the first rack he made for his. I found it the other day in my workshop even though I'm sure I gave it away a while back! If you get one you are welcome to it (thumbs)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Tracker, I have a nice klx 250 on a 59 plate with 6500k on the clock, mot until sept 2017 . Good clean bike, pm me if you want to discuss (thumbs)
tracker

Post by tracker »

Thanks for the replies guys
Arthur Pint Motor

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

A couple of opinions here:
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... 120#471950

I've had mine for 3 years now. Done about 5K miles.
It's a bit bland, which works both ways - easy to ride and maintain and moderately competent if you don't want to go fast, but not particularly exciting or dynamic to ride. It's embarrassed off-road by my mate's XR250, never mind a modern enduro, but it's just enough better on the road to make the compromise worthwhile.
tracker

Post by tracker »

A couple of opinions here:
www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/23-bik ... 120#471950

I've had mine for 3 years now. Done about 5K miles.
It's a bit bland, which works both ways - easy to ride and maintain and moderately competent if you don't want to go fast, but not particularly exciting or dynamic to ride. It's embarrassed off-road by my mate's XR250, never mind a modern enduro, but it's just enough better on the road to make the compromise worthwhile.

Thanks that's the type of report I was after. On the link there was mention of it not liking water, that's a bit hard to avoid down here in Wales. I was looking at a new one again yesterday seeing what I could remove to lighten it, the silencer would be a major weight reduction but would the efi adjust to suit?
The dealer mentioned that the KLX250 is being discontinued next year, maybe a 300 is on the way.
Arthur Pint Motor

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

tracker wrote:
Thanks that's the type of report I was after. On the link there was mention of it not liking water, that's a bit hard to avoid down here in Wales. I was looking at a new one again yesterday seeing what I could remove to lighten it, the silencer would be a major weight reduction but would the efi adjust to suit?
The dealer mentioned that the KLX250 is being discontinued next year, maybe a 300 is on the way.
I cannot see any reason why it would have a problem with water, the air intake is through a snorkel under the seat, it's hard to imagine how water could splash into it and if it did it would just drain out of the bottom. Actually it has a trap to see if any water came out the air box and I've never seen even a drop of water in it.That said I'm a fair weather rider, OTOH it has been through a couple of feet of water crossing streams.
Therefore I suspect the problem was electical and maybe not typtical.

WRT the exhaust. I don't know. I like quiet bikes and don't consider it worth saving 5 lbs and ending up with more noise. I also looked at the weight and there's nothing much that can be done to make a worthwhile difference IMO. The real issue is that the power/weight ratio is not great and the footpegs are too far forward versus a proper enduro - that's the 50/50 off/road compromise!
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

Arthur Pint Motor wrote:
tracker wrote:
I cannot see any reason why it would have a problem with water, the air intake is through a snorkel under the seat, it's hard to imagine how water could splash into it and if it did it would just drain out of the bottom. Actually it has a trap to see if any water came out the air box and I've never seen even a drop of water in it.That said I'm a fair weather rider, OTOH it has been through a couple of feet of water crossing streams.
Therefore I suspect the problem was electical and maybe not typtical.

WRT the exhaust. I don't know. I like quiet bikes and don't consider it worth saving 5 lbs and ending up with more noise. I also looked at the weight and there's nothing much that can be done to make a worthwhile difference IMO. The real issue is that the power/weight ratio is not great and the footpegs are too far forward versus a proper enduro - that's the 50/50 off/road compromise!
I had one that cut out when wet. Even power washing it meant it wouldn't start. Traded it in for a ktm690 enduio, which is a different bike. Found out later there is a recall on them because water gets into the ecu. Apparently there is a fix for it but I had traded it in by then. Mine was a 2012.

Return to β€œBIKES”