one for the drz lads

The Things We Ride
anthony29040

one for the drz lads

Post by anthony29040 »

right first off all if you haven't had or own a drz 400 don't comment, I don't want to know go to another post.
right in the thinking stage of buying a drz 400.had a crf250l last year and completely knackered my knees up doing green laning,i miss the bike and I would like to do a bit of fire road stuff nothing to challenging. Number 1 I am a short arse so seat height is something I always look at, I was all right on a standard crf250l so is a drz seat height going to be a problem.i know the weight is about the same so that wont be a problem.number 2 what sort of speed will a drz sit at on the motorway will it sit at 70 mph comfortable,i want to use the bike as a winter hack and normally do at least 200 miles on a sunday ride out,that is why I ask because normally you have to do a few motorway miles to get to where I normally ride.number 3 what sort of tank range do you get.the main thing with me is the seat height I know I can get lowering kits and low seats and stuff like that trust me I ride a s10 and that has had the lot,i am looking for feed back good or bad,but at the moment I don't want someone saying look at another bike.so any feedback on a DRZ 400 would be welcome .cheers tony. oh and P.S before the grammar police step in,i am not bothered go and wind someone else up.cheers again tony.
The Sarge

Re: one for the drz lads

Post by The Sarge »

Tony, a DRZ 400 will fit your needs perfectly, I am 5' 9 and rode it on standard seat without lowering links without any problems. Depending on your choice of gearing ( Standard 'S' 15/43) 70mph cruising is not a problem and no more vibey than any other single, less than my CCM actually. The 'S' set up is good enough for fire trail and any green laning, a change to the 'E' setup of 14/47 makes it a brilliant choice for any terrain. Tank range average is around 120 miles depending on terrain, engine is bomb proof and the suspension adequate for the weight of the bike. It lacks the sixth gear of its predecessor the DR350 but you get used to it, other than that they are a great all-rounder, loads of spares and after-market bits available and overall excellent value for money.

I should never have sold mine ! :pinch:

image_2016-11-21.jpeg
image_2016-11-21.jpeg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

I have an S10 and a DRZ400s.

I am a drag arse, sliverback type shape. 5' 10" with a long body and short legs, 29" inseam.

I struggle to get on my DRZ (although I am 60) but once on it, the suspension is so soft that it is not actually a problem and the bike sinks to a level where the seat height is negated.

I have not had the bike long and have not played around with the suspension settings as yet. When I do it may change a bit but it rides OK off road with my limited ability.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

The Sarge wrote:Tony, a DRZ 400 will fit your needs perfectly, I am 5' 9 and rode it on standard seat without lowering links without any problems. Depending on your choice of gearing ( Standard 'S' 15/43) 70mph cruising is not a problem and no more vibey than any other single, less than my CCM actually. The 'S' set up is good enough for fire trail and any green laning, a change to the 'E' setup of 14/47 makes it a brilliant choice for any terrain. Tank range average is around 120 miles depending on terrain, engine is bomb proof and the suspension adequate for the weight of the bike. It lacks the sixth gear of its predecessor the DR350 but you get used to it, other than that they are a great all-rounder, loads of spares and after-market bits available and overall excellent value for money.

I should never have sold mine ! :pinch:

image_2016-11-21.jpeg
all sounds good, I was on tip toes on the crf and that was standard, I now I could lower a drz by about 2 inches to problem and ground clearance shouldn't be a problem because I don't intend to do anything technical. Cheers for your comments tony.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

Old Git Ray wrote:I have an S10 and a DRZ400s.

I am a drag arse, sliverback type shape. 5' 10" with a long body and short legs, 29" inseam.

I struggle to get on my DRZ (although I am 60) but once on it, the suspension is so soft that it is not actually a problem and the bike sinks to a level where the seat height is negated.

I have not had the bike long and have not played around with the suspension settings as yet. When I do it may change a bit but it rides OK off road with my limited ability.
hi ray is your s10 standard seat height ? and if so whats it like compared to the DRZee cheers tony
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

anthony29040 wrote:
Old Git Ray wrote:I have an S10 and a DRZ400s.

hi ray is your s10 standard seat height ? and if so whats it like compared to the DRZee cheers tony
I just tried them back to back wearing trainers. My S10 has extra foam at the front of the saddle (1/2 to 3/4") to level it out so it is bit higher than standard. It is set to the "low" seat setting.

On the S10 I had about 1" air gap under my heel and on the DRZ I had a bit more, about 1.5" under my heel.

In standard form, I would say the DRZ ends up effectively about 1" higher than the S10.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

The DRZ s is a great bike I'm 6' ft with 34 inside leg so height isn't a problem , I just love the bike it does everything you want it to do (thumbs)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I had a DRZ 400E as a trail bike about 10 years ago. I'm 5'8" and the DRZ felt tall compared to my KTM enduro bikes, even though there probably isn't much difference in height according to the stats.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

might be struggling here on the height my s10 is lowered by I would say 2 inches and seat in low position and I can just about get the balls of my feet down.think I need to sit on one.cheers tony
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Hi Anthony

I'm 92kgs and 6' with a 31 inside leg. My DRZ sits a bit higher than standard as I have had the suspension adjusted, I can just touch the floor on tip toes but easier when fully loaded.

Just done the HISS on it this year and it runs great. The gearing I am runni ng is 15 / 43. According to gearing commander and the dyno I had it set up on, 70 mph is just on 6500 rpm. (this is also 70mph on satnav. It's OK but I prefer to run between 64-68 mph (showing 72-75 on the clock) around 6000 rpm. It's sit all day doing this fully loaded and still returns 60 mpg

I have a Clarke tank on, I got 183 miles before stopping to fill up with 14 ltrs. As The Sarge has said 120 miles is about right for a stock bike

Return to “BIKES”