What did you all learn from your trips this year???

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
benp1992

What did you all learn from your trips this year???

Post by benp1992 »

So i'm sat here reflecting on the few UK tours I have done this year aswell as my european one and i'm wondering what would i do diffrently for next year. The Uk tours were great not much i would change. The european one however I wish i had done it fully solo. I spent 5 days with 3 others one had to leave early because of work, Then on the 7th day the other two left one because he had hurt his hand quite badly when he dropped his bike doing a U-turn and the other had basiclly had enough and felt he was being rushed (which he wasnt he just faffed ALOT!!))

So next year for me all my tours will be solo unless i find another like minded person.

So from that what have you learnt from this year from your tours?
diggermanbob

Re: What did you all learn from your trips this year???

Post by diggermanbob »

I've learnt that you are never to old to meet new likeminded friends and have a great time , so my new motto is Replace fear with curiosity and enjoy life (thumbs)
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

6,000 miles in 14 days is too far at my age.
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

Not to sleep face down when you are sharing a room with beddows.
hornet

Post by hornet »

It takes a while to know what and how you want to do things ,and each time you travel it's different and that's a good thing

For me each trip is a reminder that I just need to be more relaxed about everything as being worried or annoyed changes nothing just face it whatever it is and ride happy.

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

Finding the right minded person to ride with is not easy, I do most of my riding solo, but when touring it is nice to have some company in the evenings and coffee stops etc.
My right minded person to tour with came from an unusual conversation. I have a mate in the same line of work as myself and we occasionally team up to work on bigger jobs together. One day we were talking over a cuppa, when he asked me if he could come out with me next time I went for a spin. I was curious as he didn't have a bike, but he had a sports car. We went out for a couple of rides together and it worked.

I am basically riding solo, at my own pace, stopping when I want to etc. My mate follows behind in his convertible and I use a drop of method with him, so I will wait at a junction for him when we turn. He is never far behind!!

The beauty of this for me is, I ride for myself, I have company in the evenings when we stop over, company at coffee stops, and it's nice to know you have some back up should things go wrong. He also carries the luggage.

Over the years we have travelled together to Ireland, Shetland Isles, Skye, and many other weekend away tours. Now I am not saying this would work for everybody, but it works for us, and as long as we are getting out there and riding what the hell.

2017 sees us going to Scotland North Coast 500 together, plus a couple of other trips yet to be planned.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I feel very lucky I found a good mate to go with. I love going solo and often take solo camping weekends.

But a few years back met a fellow K100 owner who on a forum offered me some technical assistance with an electrical problem. Problem got sorted and we decided maybe we should meet up.

This produced some camping weekends and some trips further afield to France. We don't share kit or tents, that's never a good idea. We seem to be able to set off at the same appointed time despite different modes of packing up stuff, we enjoy each others company, happily share making meals and planning outings. The thing seems to be to keep some things flexible and it works for us. At this point in time possible we will do 2 trips to France next year.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I learned not to leave my spare levers lying in the shed! :pinch: I managed 170 miles with this until it gave up on the way to the ferry.Still,an extra night in Amsterdam at the expense of my breakdown company wasn't to be sniffed at! :)
IMG_20160719_205730_2016-11-18.jpg
IMG_20160719_205730_2016-11-18.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Don't follow Al nav lol sorry uncle Al (big al)
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

I learned that leaving my tankbag behind on purpose when riding 'light' for the day wasn't the best idea....i got a puncture and guess where the tyre levers, puncture kit, pump and tools were?

It didn't help that i had the only bike with tubed tyres fitted ...doh !!!

Return to “TRAVEL”