EDC 2016 Maroc Ride Report

Where you've been and what you done
zimtim

Re: 2O16 EDC Maroc Ride Report

Post by zimtim »

Great report, brilliantly told with some good pictures. Thank for posting.

And somebody asked what this forum is about, this is what this forum is about, Adventure and bikes and the riders.

Well-done
(thumbs)
geoham

Post by geoham »

zimtim wrote:Great report, brilliantly told with some good pictures. Thank for posting.

And somebody asked what this forum is about, this is what this forum is about, Adventure and bikes and the riders.

Well-done
(thumbs)
I couldn't agree more with you zimtim!
jonperry64

Post by jonperry64 »

Fantastic write up Keith - Brings it all back to me (which is no bad thing!).
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Close to Midelt we stop at a busy area. It's usually a hive of activity and great to sit and watch the world go by.

We stop at a wee cafe for tea and when the group sees the dead carcasses and heads of cows ....they all run away and hide behind chairs and other people in the street.

By the time I've rounded them up and explained that the animals were dead and that's where the meat comes from that they buy in supermarkets they calm down....They say they get their meat in packets ....I have to explain it all over again.........I give them a knowing look and they're happy but only after lollipop's are given out to everybody.

Look at my hair

After playing with other little boys in the street they're 100% better.....

They share lollipops and giggle with each other forgetting the dead animal carcasses....

They try each others bikes

Once they've all calmed down they're allowed lemonade and cake.

Look at Rogers hair

Everybody is happy again...

We ride on and arrive at the Kasbah Asma at N 32 40 898 W 004 42 786 a rate of 300D per person with evening meal included along with breakfast is negotiated. They sell beer too and have WiFi. Breakfast here is buffet and very good.

We park the moto inside the hotel after riding through the main entrance and tomorrow we'll give the guardian a few dirhams each for being there.

Look at Al's happy head

We eat our evening meal and every one gets sent to bed early for throwing food.

The next morning we awaken and Roger takes himself off for an early morning ride to waken up all the other guests.

He told me upon his return he found a shepherd with his sheep....he said he was able to use his catapult and fire stones at them where upon they broke the fence and all ran off. I told him to stop making up stories and to go wash his hands for breakfast.

He said he found a graveyard too.....I'll say nothing.

We finish breakfast and crew up bound for Merzouga....

Al is all happy today as he got extra jam on his pancakes

Percy leaves on his new Honda CB 750 Four

Then Jon on his new Yamaha XTZ 750 Super Ténéré....

Al on one of those older KTM 990 things.....

Then Gordon on his new Suzuki TS 100

Roger has his new to him Suzuki TM400

Finally I leave on my new CCM 450

Before this all occurs....I check my moto over and find that my rear sprocket has prematurely worn for want of another term, after only roughly 1900kms. Chain kit is from PBR in Italy with a DID 520 O ring chain.

I have been using a chain oiler and yet you can still see where it's blue.....

Of course eveytime I stop the other Goats seemed to mention that I need to check my sprocket for lost teeth in case I'm left stranded in Maroc and that,right at the start of the holiday.....They wouldn't want it playing in the back of my mind or anything........

I'l turn the sprocket around and mount the new front tyre at Merzouga.

Will It Buff Out?
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

funnnnie love it

steve
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We head off to ride the Ziz valley. Great views......

Ride along the wide gorge.....

Percy is that happy that he pulls us all over to a lay by to dance.....poorly

Roger rides off disgusted at such a poor effort.

Percy is sad....he threatens to throw himself backwards over the wall into the gorge.....we talk him round with the promise of some sticky buns.

I get them all to ride on with the promise of lemonade at a road side cafe I know. We leave the gorge and soon we find dense palm trees growing by a river......

I show off by standing up and riding along with no hands then get a speed wobble just after the picture was taken..I didn't even fall off which is unusual.

Gordon gives a thumb up.....

Percy gives two up.....

We stop for lemonade as promised...

Off we go bound for Erfoud and Merzouga.

We stop at viewpoint for lunch.....the two Yamaha Fazers look good with their new colour scheme along with the back drop of the palm trees

Look at Gordons hair

Look at Rogers hair

The lunch stop sells souvenirs .....when Al sees the bag for sale...he asks the shop keeper where he is....he is shocked to learn he's in Morocco....he thought he was in Tunisia.

Last edited by WIBO on Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We ride on to Erfoud where we can get money from the ATM's in the main street. We stop opposite a fuel station and see rally cars in getting washed. Percy,Roger and Gordon decide to head to Merzouga via some trails and Al,Jon and I decide to go see the Parc Fermé of the rally. We set an RV point at the one and only the fuel station in Merzouga. We'd be there first and we'd just watch the world go by until they arrive. I also have arranged to meet a friend there called Hassan. He'll have an auberge organised for us.

I ask a person in the street if they know where the rally starts from and by coincidence they tell me where.

We ride to it.

We take an envious walk around ......

We arrive at the fuel station at Merzouga, meet with Hassan and chill drinking coke and tea.

There's also a small shop here to buy foodstuffs if need be.

Al and Jon started to swing on a road sign...it broke and they hid it behind a bush.......You really have to have eyes in the back of your head....

We watch the chase heli take off with the Erg Chebbi in the back ground.

This dude will rent you Katay 450's out of Erfoud if need be.

The others ride to the crater that was used if the final scenes of the James Bond film 'Spectre' before joining us.

The others arrive almost at dusk....they're all excited to see us and the only way as usual to calm them down was to buy them lollies.....

This was to be a sign for days to come.......

Last edited by WIBO on Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
luckiegar

Post by luckiegar »

Definitely the best ride report I've read for so long Kieth ,Al (thumbs)
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Excellent & entertaining (thumbs)
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We all meet up at the fuel station and we follow Hassan to an auberge called le Berger... 250D pp with evening meal and breakfast included. They have WiFi also.

We park the motos up and get sorted out before we dine.

Well presented auberge with complimenting and matching colours reflecting the myriad of light and warmth that only steeped history from time gone by can illustrate and one that only ancient civilisations and cultures can remember with in the confines and distance of their sub conscious being. Only here can the tribes of the ancient Pharaohs and Inuits know what modern civilisations of today don't know and as can be seen translated here by ancient hieroglyphics....

Over dinner Gordon tells us he accidentally joined the rally on his moto and won it ......with Percy coming second....they said Roger was crap.

We all believed him and celebrated. I was the only one to get his autograph.....Here we are with the Berber flag

Here we all were with the winner and runner up of the actual Oil Libya Rallye!!!!!!!....we all felt so elated and wished the moment would never end.

Gordon told us the official photogaphers Renault 4 had broken down and he'd be grateful if we'd take the pictures.

Would we what? Pass the camera!!!! :) :) :)

The staff celebrated also!!!!.....all two of them.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°IMPORTANT DESSERT TIP°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

We bed down late in the night and before they all go to sleep I warn them to sleep with their bedroom windows closed to avoid being bitten by vampire giraffes.

They'll need to bear this in mind over the next few days if we wild camp ...they use their long necks to reach into the tent before biting you....although I've never seen any I saw them in a documentary about Africa along with wild horses having pillow fights in their spare time..................or......... I might've dreamt all of that.

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”