Jump Starting

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Brenhden

Re: Jump Starting

Post by Brenhden »

Mike54 wrote:DO NOT have the vehicle running if the car battery is actually in a car. Engine must be off.
Why not? Over voltage?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Spike941 wrote:
Used my Harley to start the wife's Mini. Caused £1,300 to the wife's Mini. The Harley was fine. I put it down to jet lag having just suffered 2 back to back 12 hour flights. Not clever.
What happened and why ?
HAMMERHEAD

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

Mike54 wrote:DO NOT have the vehicle running if the car battery is actually in a car. Engine must be off.
Thnx for advice Mike. (thumbs) . Knowing the numpty I am I would've started the car first. Like Been says I wud be interested as too why aswell.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

also dont do the same if you run a generator in a plug socket at home during a power cut and the power comes back on without an auto change over, not good

steve
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Old Git Ray wrote:
Spike941 wrote:
Used my Harley to start the wife's Mini. Caused £1,300 to the wife's Mini. The Harley was fine. I put it down to jet lag having just suffered 2 back to back 12 hour flights. Not clever.
What happened and why ?
The Misses and I had been away for 10 or 11 weeks, and upon our return the battery had gone totally flat on her Mini. I'd cleverly parked it close to the house, exiting via the passenger door before activating the central locking. The battery was so flat it wouldn't deactivate the central locking, and the key only operates the drivers door, which was up against the wall. Couldn't get into the car. Managed to get a wire around the bonnet release and pop the hood. Needed power to activate the central locking to open the passenger door and enter the car. Car was up against the garage where the Harley was, so ideally place to contact the two batteries. Jump leads right way round on the Mini, wrong way round on the Harley. (Don't ask) Within a second or two, a strong smell of burning and various things under the bonnet started smoking. Immediately disconnected the leads but the damage was done. Mini recovered to the BMW dealer and several bits replaced. Could have been a lot worse I'm told.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

ollydog wrote:also dont do the same if you run a generator in a plug socket at home during a power cut and the power comes back on without an auto change over, not good

steve
No shit!! Absolute first order of things not to do.... :dry: Your local power company will be breathing down your neck big time, and not a surprise really!!

If you feed in to a house, use a change over switch and do it safely. If it is an emergency, then isolate your supply at the Consumer unit/Fuse box at the very least. Far safer to isolate the appliance and run it from the genny.

Return to “TECHNICAL”