MOT Requirements

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
beddowsm

MOT Requirements

Post by beddowsm »

My Husky is due for its first MOT. Just wondering what I need to do to get it ready - light and indicator wise.

Lights - do they need to work? Or can I specify a daytime MOT only for a bike? They do work, but the hi low switch is in an awkward place. Not sure I can be bothered moving. I don't plan on riding at night.

Indicators - I have none fitted. Is this a problem?

Rest works bar the horn, but Ill be fitting an aftermarket one before the actual MOT.
byewayrider

Re: MOT Requirements

Post by byewayrider »

If it was fitted as std then they must work ...you cqnt remove lights etc if bike was designated for night time use and had indicators etc fitted..

I may be wrong though lol...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

You can get away with no indicators if the bike is designed to be ridden off road with only the rider.

I never had a problem getting a pass on my 250EXC even though the switch was still there (thumbs)
HAMMERHEAD

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

No problem with my DRZ E model either. (thumbs)
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Just been doing a bit of googling.........

Bikes which cannot exceed 30mph or off-road bikes designed to carry just the rider do not need indicators but if fitted they must function correctly.

And the lights

If a motorbike has no lights at all, or they are taped, painted or permanently disconnected so as to emit no light whatsoever you can still get an MOT pass but you will receive an advisory note stating that the bike should only be used during the hours of daylight and not during times of seriously reduced visibility.

So don't need indicators and if I disconnect my lights I should be OK.......or maybe I get off my arse and try and reposition the hi low switch for the MOT.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I always tape over all of my lights when I take an enduro bike for an MOT, then I ask for a Daylight Only MOT.

If you've got indicators fitted they must work, as must the lights if they are not taped over. Trying to get an enduro bike lights to work and aim properly is a pain, so it's not worth the bother in my opinion.

I also always go to an off-road bike shop that has MOT facilities as a lot of road bike shops don't understand the above and will refuse/fail it...
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
skipper

Post by skipper »

why bother to re position the switch, if it works that is the only requirement, they do not ride the bike on an mot.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

If you buy a new enduro bike(like a KTM EXC) you will get a box of bits--the "legal" rear fender extender with number plate light, and the indicators. So when you slap on your reg plate it may be the right size but does not pass construction and use regs as there is NO white number plate light --however, NOT part of the MOT(technically you can be stopped on the road by a knowing police type person!). There is also the question of the angle of the plate. Indicators, IF FITTED, must work--and must have an indicator bulb on the dash IF THEY ARE NOT VISIBLE FROM THE RIDING POSITION. Main and dip beams must work of course , and be correctly adjusted--and there probably should be a dash tell tale for this (but not sure). Brake light must work from both front and rear brakes. A rear chain guard is only necessary if the machine has pillion footrests. With the latest Euro regs you will find that you have to sign a disclaimer that you will only use your new bike for "competition " use as the emission regs and homologation have finally caught up with the likes of KTM and they (dealers) can't sell a registered bike that is technically infringing the Euro regs (once all the restrictions are removed by the dealer that ensured that it passed "as shipped")--its definitely a grey area--and I think insurance companies understand?--comments and experience invited!!
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

There is no such thing as a "daytime MOT", it simply does not exist. You get an advisory as above.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

^...yes, I know. But if you ask for one at most off-road shops with an MOT bay they will know what you mean.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “TECHNICAL”