Quill T3

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
The Sarge

Quill T3

Post by The Sarge »

Having finally rebuilt my 644 engine and fitted a re-profiled Kent Cam, the last thing to do was replace the noisy CCM stock end can with something quiet enough for using on green lanes. After a fair bit of research and enquiring on various webbenars, I took the plunge and bought and fitted a Quill T3. It was £200 delivered for the oval alloy version, complete with all the fixings and adaptor, it is a quality bit of kit and very well made, BUT .......................................

IT'S AS LOUD AS THE STOCK CAN !!! :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

I have no option but to keep it, and now fear being 'Billy no mates' in Devon next week, I will have to be tail end Charlie or risk deafening anyone that's directly behind me! :whistle:

Sarge
Tramp

Re: Quill T3

Post by Tramp »

Lol....shove a 12" bit of chicken wire up its ass....works ok under 5krpm....use a broom handle to ram it down and pliers to remove...

Mine regularly gets blown out on enthusiastac overtakes.......or wear ear plugs and smile a lot at folks...
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Been using Chicken wire on the stock can, spending £200 was to give me nice quiet riding, pee'd off to say the least :pinch:
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Cant you fit a sleeve inside From the engine end or a washer to restrict flow....

Is the new cam in old head or xf650 one?...
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Tramp wrote:Cant you fit a sleeve inside From the engine end or a washer to restrict flow....

Is the new cam in old head or xf650 one?...
The cam is the one from the donor XF650 head but re-profiled by Kent, the heads on 644 and XF are identical anyway, After checking and measuring for wear, I re-cut the valves, lapped them and replaced the stem seals, guides were fine. It started after 3 spins on the starter but I haven't ridden it yet as there are other things to sort out, but should be out on the weekend. Will let you know whether the Cam change was worth the £90 , the £200 for the Quill certainly wasn't :pinch:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

re-fit the stock can, for the rideout, and
SEND IT BACK
or take it back, even better.
as it is not fit for purpose .. and may even be illegal.
(sale of goods act n all that)

ps ... daft thought perhaps, but are all the gaskets back in?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

QUILL QUOTE//
With our performance exhausts there is no need to re-fuel or re-jet, and our unique, original 'airflow' design gives you race can performance after 4500rpm (complete with the sound!) whilst still being road legal (Evo2 with removable baffle), with no police or MOT problems.//

ALSO THEY GOT PADDIN..
http://quillexhausts.com/catalogue/New_Products.html
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

No way was my Quill T3 as quiet as the standard CCM end can although it was not massively louder. It did get checked once during scrutineering at a UK Rally (Hafren I think) but was passed as ok with the Quill on.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Locksmith

Post by Locksmith »

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121974716052

Tried over the years to make aftermarket cans quieter and the above as worked the best.
Fits in the link pipe end of the end can. Got one in my TTR and had one in my 660 Ten. Makes a huge difference. End can needs to be 51mm internal diameter.
Suzuki DL650 (Wee) with many nice mods ..

Yamaha XT660Z Tenere also modded ..

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/

http://www.adventurebikers.net/forum/index.php
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

garyboy wrote:re-fit the stock can, for the rideout, and
SEND IT BACK
or take it back, even better.
as it is not fit for purpose .. and may even be illegal.
(sale of goods act n all that)

ps ... daft thought perhaps, but are all the gaskets back in?
Gaskets, Not with you Gary ??

Return to “TECHNICAL”