Which Adventure Travel Books?

The essential art of farkling.
V-Rider

Which Adventure Travel Books?

Post by V-Rider »

Hi all,

I've not been here in a long time (since around 2011!) but making a return back to the adventure bike scene after a back breaking stint on sports machines.

I'm going on holiday to Morocco for two weeks soon and using the occasion to do a bit of scouting while there as a prescursor to riding down there next year. Whilst I am there though and enjoying some down time (I know someone has to do it! :whistle: ) I'd like to get into a good book or two.

I've read through Sam Manicom's offerings and they were fantastic. I also have Lois Pryce's bookes 'Lois on the Loose' and 'Red tape and white knuckles' to get through, but wondering (aside from recommending an ABR issue which is standard fare!) if there are any books you all can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Versysrider.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Tourider

Re: Which Adventure Travel Books?

Post by Tourider »

Anything by Geoff Hill, a professional and amusing writer.
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Touching the world - really inspiring.
Old man on a motorbike - never too old.
Have read both more than once.
Have had to buy several copies of the first one. When I lend it I never get it back.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Alan29 wrote:Touching the world - really inspiring.
Old man on a motorbike - never too old.
Have read both more than once.
Have had to buy several copies of the first one. When I lend it I never get it back.

Touching the world, is that the chap who was interviewed by adventure bike TV recently? Sounded like they had a fantastic adventure and a hard interview to watch. Sounds great thanks for the recommendation and reminding me of them!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

I second both Geoff Hill's books and Oldman on a bike, and would add Mike Carter's Uneasy Rider.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Sam Manicon is probably my favourite so you would probably also like Graham Field's books.I also like Nathan Millward who just proves any bike is an adventure bike. (thumbs)
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Spike941 wrote:I second both Geoff Hill's books and Oldman on a bike, and would add Mike Carter's Uneasy Rider.
All the above.I even enjoyed Mike Carter's book on cycling around Britain. :)
simonw

Post by simonw »

Graham Field's and Nathan Millward's books are excellent. Mike Carter's Uneasy Rider is hilarious. African Brew Ha-Ha is ok (though I didn't find it riveting), Is that Bike Diesel Mate was the same. Bonjour Is This Italy? is funny. These Are The Days That Must Happen To You is very different and very very good. Shambling Around Europe and the follow up were absolutely crap. Triumph Around the World is good. I quite enjoyed Commando Despatch Rider (about a WW2 despatch rider) too. Ghost Rider, Far and Near and Roadshow (all by Rush's drummer, Neil Peart) are very good.

Non-adventure books about motorcycling worth a read include That Near Death Thing (about the IoM TT), Stealing Speed and The Perfect Vehicle.
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

I love travel books and have read widely but really didn't get on with Geoff Hill. Let's just say he has a very distinct style. It feels like someone pointed a gun at his head and forced him to write and tell jokes. There is a touch of desperation in his writing and endless endless unfunny attempts at humour.

If you can I would recommend going into a book shop and reading the first chapter before you buy to make your own mind up.

I did enjoy Mike Carter's uneasy rider and his cycling book is good too. There is a man who is actually funny.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Jonny Bealby's 'Running with the Moon' is my favourite book; he takes his Tenere to the Tenere desert.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”