Green lanes round Pontypridd

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
garyboy

Re: Green lanes round Pontypridd

Post by garyboy »

I cant get out at the moment Cone as I got teeth problems. went on road bike yesterday and in bed again today with toof aches. .. plus I don't want to get my new 250 dirty quite yet (that's the real reason ha ha)... but in the future should be ok. Gary.

yes, I would avoid the puddles, personally, but tbh there is a fair bit of nice graded or roughish bits that are good to learn on and should be ok for a first-timer. you can always turn around if you see a `dodgy` bit ahead.

you rarely see farmers up there, or fly tippers .. its what they leave behind is just a nuisance .. but even this gets cleared up eventually by the council.

mostly its quiet up there but occasionally is seems to go mad and all hell is let loose .. but it doesn't last. just get up there and trundle along the easy bits at the beginnings .. probably from the nelson (north) end is better.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

There are some nice lanes just north of Bridgend...you can see them on the OS maps. It's where the windmills are. Lovely views.

I made a navigational error the first time I was up there, and followed a track past where it be became the private access to a farmyard.

When I saw the farmyard, I turned around ...but too late, the farm dogs had heard me and sounded off.

I realised the farmer was after me on a quad, and stopped and took my helmet off.

Guess what... he was very friendly, after I'd apologised for disturbing him. He said he had no problem with trailriders at all, but he was concerned about G...sy kids on stolen bikes staking out places for theft etc.

"I knew you were tidy as soon as I saw you stop and take your helmet off," he said.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Hiya Richard ... I just wonder what that farmer and his dogs would have done if they had caught up with you with your helmet on? (though I detest pikeys too and can understand his reaction.)

not been on those bridgend lanes ... I think you did a report on them a while back?

anyway... this is the (real) reason I don't want to get dirty quite yet ..
a beautiful virginal babe ..

Cone

Post by Cone »

Sounds like a group ride out to Bridgend is DUE :lol:

Just up my street.. lol
Cone

Post by Cone »

Was in the area last so paid the trail a little visit, there wasn't enough light for me to get from one end to the other but taking it steady I enjoyed it even if I took the odd wrong turn in the dark on the way back. Dodging the sheep was difficult in the dark thou!
Cone

Post by Cone »

Gary - I was up the lanes round Ponty today, looks like the farmers been at it again, possibly a few ton of silage stockpiled at the end of the green lane, he has then excavated a trench along and round the road for probably 100 m. :angry:

Sad thing is hes cause more damage to his land as all the bikes and 4x4s have found a new way round.

I also took another lane and there is about 60 ton of aggregates dumped in the middle of the lane, again can be got around but of the road! :angry:

Other than that a good day!
WelshGar

Post by WelshGar »

Cone, I use those lanes quite regularly on the Africa Twin. The Farmer is always making a mess of the place.
We'll worth popping over towards Gilfach and doing the lanes around there too, North of Pencoed area.
I frequently lead big bike rides with swtrf starting in ponty and up around Elan valley. Great day out. I'll have to post them on here too.
Cone

Post by Cone »

I'm well up for that.

I normally have to go all the way tof saLisbuRy for a big bike ride likemail that
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

nearly went there today myself, Cone, but went road bike instead.

I can't understand how that farmer gets away with it?
Cone

Post by Cone »

The thing that really annoys me is it causes far more damage than if the road was there,

I also do not know how the council let him get away with it!

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”