Wanted...Honda crf250l

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
Redsoul

Re: Wanted...Honda crf250l

Post by Redsoul »

Mike54 wrote:what you mean is that you didnt buy it because you were looking for something cheaper.

Ring Gaz at Adventure Bike Warehouse. He may well have one or two for sale.
Don't know what you are on about and you don't know me so stop talking bollox
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

ok so why didn't you buy it then?

btw, you're welcome
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

there is quite a lot of 250ls for sale ..i keep me eye on them from time to time ...what i see is the oppisite of whats percieved ..
twelve months on from buying the list price has gone up 300 quid and the 2nd hand price has gone up accordingly
you can wait and haggle and try and save a bit here and there imho the number one upgrade you want to look for is suspension ..but ive never ever seen one with it fitted for sale ..without doubt you have to pay more now than 12 months ago

the standard rear suspension cant even carry me properly let alone any luggage i bought one last november for 2700 quid 384 miles up spent 1200 quid on it rode it all year on little more than two oilchanges and a set of pads

...ive just shipped it out to albania with silly low woodsy gearing and 30kgms of luggage ..first trail is 40meters from me digs ..and road work will be for petrol and a bed its a cracking little bike if you stick with it and accept its puny power ..but it will trail ride and climb steep shit really well its so easy to ride and so cheap to maintain.and more capable than some would give it credit for ..gutsy little fecker from 0 to 40mph in tight places its ace and 40mph ill get a nose bleed ..i just dont need big speed on this trip at all (thumbs) the ability to have the clutch engaged at half walking pace and climb steep at 7mph at 3000 revs really is a thing of beauty (thumbs)

i expect it will be 12000 miles up on return if i stripped all me fancy bits off it to put them on a new one which is my intention ive had all that fun for around 700 quid it will sell very quick for two grand .. as it will be the cheapest one in the country by a fair margin
so just do it ride it and there nowt to worry about it really doesnt get any chaeaper than this

ImageIMAG7380_zpsv9jlnbnx by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Sensible advice from Minky. As always.

Have fun in Albania - looking forward to the photos.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Redsoul

Post by Redsoul »

minkyhead wrote:there is quite a lot of 250ls for sale ..i keep me eye on them from time to time ...what i see is the oppisite of whats percieved ..
twelve months on from buying the list price has gone up 300 quid and the 2nd hand price has gone up accordingly
you can wait and haggle and try and save a bit here and there imho the number one upgrade you want to look for is suspension ..but ive never ever seen one with it fitted for sale ..without doubt you have to pay more now than 12 months ago

the standard rear suspension cant even carry me properly let alone any luggage i bought one last november for 2700 quid 384 miles up spent 1200 quid on it rode it all year on little more than two oilchanges and a set of pads

...ive just shipped it out to albania with silly low woodsy gearing and 30kgms of luggage ..first trail is 40meters from me digs ..and road work will be for petrol and a bed its a cracking little bike if you stick with it and accept its puny power ..but it will trail ride and climb steep shit really well its so easy to ride and so cheap to maintain.and more capable than some would give it credit for ..gutsy little fecker from 0 to 40mph in tight places its ace and 40mph ill get a nose bleed ..i just dont need big speed on this trip at all (thumbs) the ability to have the clutch engaged at half walking pace and climb steep at 7mph at 3000 revs really is a thing of beauty (thumbs)

i expect it will be 12000 miles up on return if i stripped all me fancy bits off it to put them on a new one which is my intention ive had all that fun for around 700 quid it will sell very quick for two grand .. as it will be the cheapest one in the country by a fair margin
so just do it ride it and there nowt to worry about it really doesnt get any chaeaper than this

ImageIMAG7380_zpsv9jlnbnx by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]
Cheers for the info Minky...if I can't find a decent used bike I may well just buy new at 0 percent interest and trawl eBay for used aftermarket parts.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

You may find that it's around 6% base rate now and higher Apr. And I not seen anything USED (accessories) these on eBay?
Great fun bikes tho. Best wishes.
Redsoul

Post by Redsoul »

Several on eBay with 0 percent finance actually which is a viable option for me if can't find a decent used one.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I had a CRF230L for quite a while--never sold as road legal in the UK but there are a few that are registered---bullet proof old school air cooled. With Race Tech cartridge emulators in the front and a stiffer spring in the rear (plenty of farkles available from the US including bigger tanks, exhaust and so on). Mine went down to Venice a couple of years ago (in a van), and then on a ferry to Northern Greece, and then up through Albania , Slovenia , Montenegro, Croatia and eventually back to Venice via Trieste . We were trail riding in the middle of Albania etc--and camping--and that little bike carried it all and never missed a beat--the only thing I had to do was to change the front tyre as it chopped badly (wrong tyre choice). They are very underrated as a trail bike and are "simple" being carb and air cooled--its certainly an alternative to the 250--but of course not sold anymore here in the UK.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I am not sure about this but wasn't the air cooled model the crf230F. I had one and at first it seemed great but later on i came to hate the suspension and even the tittle engine. It eventually got knackered and i sold it for peanuts. Having said that. other users seemed to love them and the engine sounded nice n smooth and they glided everywhere. So perhaps it was just my lemon?
I think the crf230L was the forerunner of the CRF250L. the crf230L was water-cooled and had FI too?
Please correct me if I am wrong (but I read it on the internet so it must be right)
Gary
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

garyboy wrote:I am not sure about this but wasn't the air cooled model the crf230F. I had one and at first it seemed great but later on i came to hate the suspension and even the tittle engine. It eventually got knackered and i sold it for peanuts. Having said that. other users seemed to love them and the engine sounded nice n smooth and they glided everywhere. So perhaps it was just my lemon?
I think the crf230L was the forerunner of the CRF250L. It had FI too?
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Gary
You are right--the L had lights and a rear disc--and NEVER sold in the UK. The F was an offroad fun bike--rear drum the only difference--and no lights etc--mine had the full lighting kit in the end. The suspension just needed sorting a bit--just like the 250 now--but mine did TBEC enduros as well and would jump. I also "modified " the exhaust and upjetted it(they come too lean)--but not loud--and fitted a bigger bore front pipe--perhaps a few more horses and it would lug for ever if required--and of course a gearing change for the trail to get it to trickle in first with no clutch at a slow walking pace. I only sold it as I "upgraded " to a WR250R--and that has required even more work to get right!

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”