Back brake sticking. Help!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
dubber68

Back brake sticking. Help!

Post by dubber68 »

OK so I have an issue with my rear brake cylinder/piston sticking. I have taken the calliper off and cleaned it, put new disc and pads as well as a calliper service kit. This included spring plate and retaining pin. I have bled the brakes and as soon as you apply them the piston does not retract enough to clear the disc. I have checked the fluid level and taken some out so that it is mid way between min and max. I can only think that the master cylinder is knackered. Your thoughts would be appreciated. I also thought it may be due to bleeding it without actuating the ABS. I feel a visit to the dealers coming up. By the way it is a BMW GS650.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
hotbulb

Re: Back brake sticking. Help!

Post by hotbulb »

Did the caliper service include replacing the piston seal? That generally acts as the "retraction spring". Plenty of rubber grease on seals and dust excluder?
Otherwise, could be a master cylinder fault... perhaps adjustment (pushrod not returning fully so not opening the recuperation port). Is the brake hose OK? I've had problems in the past where the inner lining starts to disintegrate and acts as a sort of one-way valve.
Or it's an ABS problem ... a complete mystery to me :(
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Must admit I didn't change the seal just fully extended the piston and cleaned and greased it. Might be the next thing to try.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Is the caliper sliding ok on the mounting bracket pin?
Was the problem there before replacing disc and pads?
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

The problem was there before changing disc etc. It seems to slide easily on the pin and the pin is brand new. Might need to put a day to one side and order a seal kit. Then totally disassemble and rebuild the caliper. Can't shake the feeling it's master cylinder related though but I don't know how to check.

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Corrosion under the caliper piston seal causing it to grip the piston would be my first place to look.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I had a similar thing the other week on the gf's bike after some tinkering with the back brake.

On hers on the master cylinder you can adjust the stroke from the pedal, its basically a bit of all thread from the bottom of the master cylinder, anyway, what I'd done is adjust it too harshly so it was actually permanently stuck on, seemed fine on a static test but as soon as it was tried on the run it locked on, lots of smoke and whatnot slightly worrying for me being behind her :sick:

Anyway, I've used the adjusters before when pads have been a bit low and not biting as much as they should, if someone's done that for whatever reason and you've stuck new pads in that might be worth a look (thumbs)
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

dubber68 wrote:Must admit I didn't change the seal just fully extended the piston and cleaned and greased it.
theres your problem
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Thanks for all the replies I have just ordered a new seal kit and to be safe a new master cylinder which I will fit if the seal does not work.

Return to “TECHNICAL”