What big bikes can handle a full water submersion?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Hates_

What big bikes can handle a full water submersion?

Post by Hates_ »

Was reading a ride report where a Tiger 800 fell into water which killed the speedo unit meaning the bike couldn't function at all. Seems the unit isn't waterproof at all.

Just wondering are there any modern big bikes that can handle a full drop into water? I would have assumed the GS1200 would be fully waterproof, or maybe the KTM 1190?
byewayrider

Re: What big bikes can handle a full water submersion?

Post by byewayrider »

Surely leaving any bike out in a thunderstorm is the same as playing submarine...electrics and water dont a like each other simple..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

I know its not a big bike - but a KLR600 can certainly survive being fully submerged and travel about 20 yards downstream underwater in an Icelandic glacial river for over 5 minutes

And still run like a good afterwards even with the headlight full of water looking like a washing machine !
(thumbs)

The GS12 panzer is all good unless you suck water into the air intake - which is possibly a lot lower than some people realise.

I am surprised the Tumpet didn't rust to death anyway within 10 minutes of a river crossing :whistle:
When nothing is going right - go left
Hates_

Post by Hates_ »

byewayrider wrote:Surely leaving any bike out in a thunderstorm is the same as playing submarine...electrics and water dont a like each other simple..
I think on the tiger the water has to make its way up through the wiring port. So it doesn't mind being rained on.
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

I've taken my Harley-Davidson out in the rain several times and contrary to the popular myth held by most Harley riders it didn't melt!
bowber

Post by bowber »

Any vehicle electrics and electronics SHOULD be able to stand a little bath, however not many can.
I know the KTM adventures usually can but I've no idea for how long or how well the electronics work afterwards.
I think the trouble with the Trumpet is if the dash dies the whole bike is dead.

Steve
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

It's a lottery, simple as that. Let's face it they are not designed to.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Bmw gs 1150 2003 fleerwood six of em remember them
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

You could in theory help proof a bike with dialectric grease on the wiring connections and sealant on all the rubber grommets etc and maybe a quick way of isolating the battery in emergencys.
V_King

Post by V_King »

Hates_ wrote:Was reading a ride report where a Tiger 800 fell into water which killed the speedo unit meaning the bike couldn't function at all. Seems the unit isn't waterproof at all.

Just wondering are there any modern big bikes that can handle a full drop into water? I would have assumed the GS1200 would be fully waterproof, or maybe the KTM 1190?
The speedo was designed to withstand the common weather conditions, which it does as intended. Submersing electronics enclose under water, however shallow they are presents you with completely different engineering challenges. A good read about the waterproofing levels before going to sleep. That is where the consumer interpretation of waterproofnes/weatherproofnes and other wordings come into play. What does fully waterproof mean to you?
""

Return to “TECHNICAL”