Normandy trip advice

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Watty2016

Normandy trip advice

Post by Watty2016 »

I have been doing lots of homework on which WW2 sites, museums etc. to visit, but knowing how well travelled some of you guys are on here, I thought I would ask for some advice and help I.e.

I am looking to do a self guide tour of sites, as I want to take my time and enjoy the scenery and history of sites, so will organise a tour guide for some sites, but just do some on my own, so I get the full history.

Just wondered if anybody has completed something similar and could offer some advice on where to start, where to stay and what routes to take to maximise my riding enjoyment, whilst getting the time to respect the past and our fallen heroes?

Cheers
Flintlock

Re: Normandy trip advice

Post by Flintlock »

We did a tour from Caen to Cherbourg on the way back from the Pyreenes last year.loads of places within that area.

Details on the last couple of pages on the ride report here

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... eport.html
Watty2016

Post by Watty2016 »

Thanks will have a good read as looks like I may head to the Ardennes to start with and come back via Normandy now (thumbs)
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

There's a well sign-posted route in the area that charts the D Day Operation Overlord, drop into a Tourist Information Office and pick up a free guide.
big al

Post by big al »

Hi Watty (thumbs)
Have a look at the Longues-sur-Mer battery
www.bayeux-tourism.com/
Place page »
Site de la Batterie, Rue de la Mer, 14400 Longues-sur-Mer, France
And Musée et site de la Batterie de Merville
www.batterie-merville.com/
Place page »
Place du 9ème Bataillon, 14810 Merville-Franceville-Plage, France
And Arromanche (Gold beach )
Sainte-Mère-Église 50480, France)
And pegasus bridge Pont de Ranville 14860 Ranville, France
Then there's Sword beach, Juno Beach,Omaha beach And Utah beach.
Hope this helps.
Al
Watty2016

Post by Watty2016 »

Thanks I will draw up a route and riding times between sites, when I have decided which ones to see and yes I will have a look at your suggestions, which all seem to get very good reviews from both a historical and respectful perspective.

Cheers (thumbs)
BrynS

Post by BrynS »

Don't know where you are or how you're crossing....but a couple of years back we went Dover-Calais over to Ste Mere Eglise...a bloody long day to get there, but had a nice guest house right on the main square for 3 nights.we decided not to go back the same way, and did St.Malo to Southampton to get back, called in at Mont san Michel on the way..worth a visit B)
Watty2016

Post by Watty2016 »

Living in the midlands, I am going to have a bit of a journey to get to any of the ports, so looking at best route over, which enables me to see the most in 3 days, as other 2 will be travelling down and back.

Thanks for the suggestions and will plot them all in a map and then decide best route over and what I can see in 3 days riding around. (thumbs)
BrynS

Post by BrynS »

I'd be looking at a return from Southampton...We're in Leicester and the A43/A34 is an easy journey.
Watty2016

Post by Watty2016 »

Looks like the most direct route is Portsmouth to Cherbourg, but is the Southampton to St.Malo better for riding conditions/roads when you get to France?

Return to “TRAVEL”