TRF becomming Extinct?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
johnnyboxer

TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by johnnyboxer »

I doubt I shall renew in 2017

I don't need the TRF to ride my bike on trails

I have the maps and the info already

I can keep up to date with online mapping and any road closures or tro's via the Council Highways roadworks notices

I can contact like minded mates to ride or ride alone

Bottom line - I don't need the TRF

However the TRF does need members & it needs members to rejoin
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
AndyB

Re: TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by AndyB »

johnnyboxer wrote:I doubt I shall renew in 2017

I don't need the TRF to ride my bike on trails

I have the maps and the info already

I can keep up to date with online mapping and any road closures or tro's via the Council Highways roadworks notices

I can contact like minded mates to ride or ride alone

Bottom line - I don't need the TRF

However the TRF does need members & it needs members to rejoin
They certainly do need members but I'm not convinced that the people running things realise that they need members more than members and potential members need the TRF.
mancunian

Post by mancunian »

Philiptigerrice wrote:I agree with Andy B....

I joined for a year last year - I found the forums to be confusing and secretive.

One group would suggest I join another group - then they'd suggest I join someone else.

It struck me that it isn't really a national group whatsoever - its a gaggle of local groups - for local people - who don't trust the other groups - and bicker a lot.

In the end - having started off keen as mustard - I effectively paid £45 for a f*cking sticker.

Peoples Front Of Judea sprung to mind. :dry:
http://www.trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=19630

We explained to you where all our rides are openly listed for all members and even offered to tailor a ride specifically for you and your bike, you did not take us up on any of these offers?
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Yep Manc - and sorry if you're offended.

There is a little more background to what I said here though. Each of my comments applies to at least one section or group of the TRF - but not nessecarily each group.

I think - as I recall - that I did end up linking in with the Manc group.

I tried the link you supplied below - but even when I'm successfully logged in - I'm Unauthorized to see it. Maybe because my subscription ran out? No matter...

I'd tried linking in with other groups too (with friends in other areas) - not just the year I joined- but I'd also looked at joining the year before and had spoken to people - and didn't because I found the whole thing very confusing.

When I did join - I was in touch with a number of groups - and spoke to a few people on the phone - and it was confusing - and didn't feel easy. I was repeatedly told, on the phone to 'maybe try other groups. I wasn't sure if they were saying that they felt me or my bike weren't up to the level of trails they were doing or something.

As you say - there are listings of rides - but again, as I recall - a lot of them involved meeting at pubs for undisclosed routes, or notices about ringing someone to get the details. Maybe that was the other groups - the forum was hard to work out where you were in it at times - and again - if I recall correctly - at the time you had to sign in with different areas differently (is that right?)

I joined a national group - but then you also need to form affiliations, or sign in with groups within it - I think. Like I say - I didn't really get it.

I was trail riding at the time, on my Sertao, and it was nice of the Manchester Group to offer to tailor a ride - for me and my bike.... now - I know this is going to sound really ungrateful - but if you're looking to join a group - that is doing something you already enjoy doing - and you consider that you have the kit for it and the bike for it and are enjoying ABR and trips and Taffy Dakar etc - to then be offered something a bit special and tailored to your special needs - well - it doesn't feel inclusive - and you don't want to put people out - you just want to join in the rides. I don't know how to explain that any better, sorry.

So - again - I'm sorry if you feel like I was rude to you and your team - but in two years of looking to join the TRF, including a years paid membership - I tried accessing a few groups - and for me it didn't work out. I found that frustrating.

It has to be said that clearly, lots of other people have a similar experience.

I'm 100% sure that there are some fabulous guys working in and around the TRF, but at times there seems to be a disconnect between established members and newbies.

I'm re reading this - and am acutely aware that I don't have the eloquence to put it better - so sorry to any folks who have and are putting the effort it and feel annoyed with me.
It just didn't work out, for me.

Anyways, the Sertao has now gone - replaced by the GSA you see in my photo - and I'm doing 15k miles a year on it - for me - for now - the Trail Riding is sadly over. That certainly is NOT the TRF's fault - I just needed a bigger bike for the miles I like to do - and here's the rub - I was finding it a massive pain in the derriere to travel to the BOATS that were open - and to find the routes new to me - and then would get there and find them TRO'd - so ironically - the TRF is perhaps more important than ever.

What I do know - is that using ABR is significantly easier - and that even if I turn up to an event on my GSA- there'll be some big bike friendly routes and what not - depending on the event - and that is much better for me at the moment (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Philiptigerrice wrote:I was trail riding at the time, on my Sertao, and it was nice of the Manchester Group to offer to tailor a ride - for me and my bike.... now - I know this is going to sound really ungrateful - but if you're looking to join a group - that is doing something you already enjoy doing - and you consider that you have the kit for it and the bike for it and are enjoying ABR and trips and Taffy Dakar etc - to then be offered something a bit special and tailored to your special needs - well - it doesn't feel inclusive - and you don't want to put people out - you just want to join in the rides. I don't know how to explain that any better, sorry.

I'm re reading this - and am acutely aware that I don't have the eloquence to put it better - so sorry to any folks who have and are putting the effort it and feel annoyed with me.
It just didn't work out, for me
I can totally understand that, and it's eloquent enough.

People just need to understand that there is no silver bullet.

I am TRYING to look after a friend at the moment who has just been widowed. The most difficult bit about it is getting her to accept help. She feels like she is a burden to everybody. Because actually she knows she needs the help, she feels inadequate for not being able to manage on her own, then feels embarrassed about accepting help, and she feels she is putting people out if she asks for it.

You can offer help, you can in some cases just provide the help without asking (for which she is always grateful), but what doesn't work is getting miffed if people don't take you up on your offer.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I can understand this.
I always felt I was being a nuisance in putting people out, as I was slow and old and very nervous (still am) and didn't (don't) have a clue about the lanes, where they are.

but reading the above ^^ .. reminds me of the great amount of help I actually did have, both from the TRF and from individuals. from group rides and from special one-to-one.

thankyou to all.
none of it forgotten.
I often feel bitchy about things, but I never forget kindness.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Gary,
You were never an inconvenience or holding people up my friend. Some people enjoy going fast, other people enjoy going slow that's the way it is. I personally am in the latter group as I like to enjoy the scenery, take in the views, experience the nature etc. whilst other people do it for the technical challenge of getting up gnarly hills without falling off. Nervous?, unsure of where the trails are? I didn't either, now I'm happy to show others , that's what it's all about in my opinion; the enjoyment of being out and about in the fresh air and often IN the cold water of another 'fall over' on a river crossing!

Don't beat yourself up as there is room for everyone in the trail riding world and the TRF isn't the panacea that some people make it out to be.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

cheers Paul (thumbs) :)
johnnyboxer

TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by johnnyboxer »

PaulinBont wrote:Gary,
You were never an inconvenience or holding people up my friend. Some people enjoy going fast, other people enjoy going slow that's the way it is. I personally am in the latter group as I like to enjoy the scenery, take in the views, experience the nature etc. whilst other people do it for the technical challenge of getting up gnarly hills without falling off. Nervous?, unsure of where the trails are? I didn't either, now I'm happy to show others , that's what it's all about in my opinion; the enjoyment of being out and about in the fresh air and often IN the cold water of another 'fall over' on a river crossing!

Don't beat yourself up as there is room for everyone in the trail riding world and the TRF isn't the panacea that some people make it out to be.
True enough & well said

I always look after the slowest riders in my group when leading

I stop often to look the view & take pics

Plus making a day out with decent cafés (not garages) for eating & fuel stops so people aren't anxious about running out

Trail riding is a day out & not a race

1st & 2nd gear is fine offroad - who needs a race ?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

My TRF experience:
In 1977, a friend & I rode 35 miles one wet winter night to join the TRF-to the Valiant Trooper in Berkhampstead.
No bugger would talk to us.

In late 1990's tried again-in Thames Valley I think-absolutely no interest-so stuff you lot!!

Around early 2000s, discovered Oxford TRF via UkGSer ride(on a KTM!).
Brilliant bunch! Exactly what the TRF should be-enthusiastic, friendly, open, good ROW people, lots of rides, entertaining other TRF groups etc.

Then I moved north-found Teesside/North Yorks group-great! Just like Oxford.

So my recent experience of local TRF groups has been +ve.

However.....the current national TRF "board" behaviours are shameful and are damaging the TRF in that it will lose members.
Some even suspect that is the plan.
My view is that is a mix of inexperience, ego and incompetence.

Perhaps the vacant Dictator position in Uzbekistan will attract the junta eastwards-that may be the only hope for TRF survival as a national organisation.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”