getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
nuttynick

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by nuttynick »

Just do it! But don't get sucked into the idea that an adventure bike needs to be half a ton of fully loaded BMW GS etc. An adventure bike is anything you have an adventure on!
There's a guy currently in Iran on his Triumph Scrambler, and earlier this year I rode Morocco on my Ducati Scrambler.
I'm a shortarse and can get both feet flat in the floor, a big benefit on a loaded up bike. If you get something too big that you struggle with you'll hate it.
I've have tall adventure bikes, and my little 'coffee shop' bike does everything I've ever done on those, but it's easier to ride.
A guy I know is 60 this year, and is planning to ride the old Route 66 in the USA, you're never too old!
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I hit 60 this year, happily take the K100 packed up with camping gear off anywhere. Just had 10 days excellent camping and hope to see many more years of it too.

Whatever you do find a bike that's comfortable for you. You don't have to have too much power either but a decent fuel range is important and comforting too.

Kit it out to suit you, lots of advice on the forum here but most of us have our bikes and gear very much set up to suit us and you may prefer different. Experience counts for a lot too.

I don't go off road but I would not want something too heavy and the K100RT is about my limit with a few minor mods [slightly flatter tyres, shorter rear shock and pulled stanchions] so I can get both feet flat on the ground. It weighs in at 253kg wet. This makes a huge difference as my K100LT was heavier and taller and feels less secure in low speed stuff. I have recently spotted some other nice bikes for these trips, Yamaha Diversion, FJR, etc and not big money. But old BMW boxers 70s and 80s are not heavy and a real treasure too.

I often encounter guys in their 70s going round on smaller bikes, simply because of manageability but they too will go anywhere.

Any trip going a distance is an adventure, even if its not off road. Everybody will stop to talk to you too so you never feel alone.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
geoham

Post by geoham »

I agree with all the rest. Get the CBT booked. As the say age is only a number.

Welcome to ABR from Northern Ireland (thumbs)

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”