getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Simon_100
Posts: 7366
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by Simon_100 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:02 am

AndyB wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Sounds like you have more of an idea than most of the rest if us when we started with motorbikes - I thought it would make me attractive to women! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Well bikes must have made me more attractive to women because my quota certainly increased after I passed my bike test and got a bigger bike (thumbs)
Yes, but I went out and bought a Ducati single didn't I - bet Mrs AndyB doesn't go out for a ride on yours eh? :whistle:

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service



*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 2382
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 907 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by garyboy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:25 am

Naah. . Don't do it. Think of your heart. with all that excitement. And whatever you do don't sell your house for a RTW trip. Far better to let the government take it off you to pay for your care home fees. And when the dementia sets in you will have forgotten what you missed anyway.
Best wishes. Gary ;)

Paul_C
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:28 pm
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by Paul_C » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:28 am

I'm 60 in a few weeks and ride quite a lot. However, I've ridden motorbikes for most of my life. I'd say if you are a decent rider on a push bike, and drive regularly, you have 65% of the skills needed.
Pass your bike test. Do 6000 to 10000 miles on a bike to develop your skills and go for it.
I only took up green lane riding 2 1/2 years ago and love it, even if I did fall off a lot at first.
Have fun.
Just along for the ride.
R1200GSA. CCM450. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.

jackdaw
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:38 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by jackdaw » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:41 pm

You haven't mentioned your level of fitness and agility. Can you still get your leg over? (literally) Adventure bikes tend to be rather tall. You can, of course haave a great time on a 'step-through' or a scoot.

AndyB
Posts: 8747
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by AndyB » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:46 pm

The Spanish Biker wrote:
AndyB wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Sounds like you have more of an idea than most of the rest if us when we started with motorbikes - I thought it would make me attractive to women! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Well bikes must have made me more attractive to women because my quota certainly increased after I passed my bike test and got a bigger bike (thumbs)
Well mine is at Mikeys unit so even I don't get to ride it but why would she bother when she's got a 916 of her own?

Yes, but I went out and bought a Ducati single didn't I - bet Mrs AndyB doesn't go out for a ride on yours eh? :whistle:

Simon
I appear to have made a mess of that but my reply is above Simons.

Simon_100
Posts: 7366
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by Simon_100 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:55 pm

AndyB wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:
AndyB wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Sounds like you have more of an idea than most of the rest if us when we started with motorbikes - I thought it would make me attractive to women! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Well bikes must have made me more attractive to women because my quota certainly increased after I passed my bike test and got a bigger bike (thumbs)
Well mine is at Mikeys unit so even I don't get to ride it but why would she bother when she's got a 916 of her own?

Yes, but I went out and bought a Ducati single didn't I - bet Mrs AndyB doesn't go out for a ride on yours eh? :whistle:

Simon
I appear to have made a mess of that but my reply is above Simons.
So, she like 'em big then ... :evil:

Regs
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service



*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

AndyB
Posts: 8747
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by AndyB » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:02 pm

The Spanish Biker wrote:
AndyB wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:
AndyB wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Sounds like you have more of an idea than most of the rest if us when we started with motorbikes - I thought it would make me attractive to women! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Well bikes must have made me more attractive to women because my quota certainly increased after I passed my bike test and got a bigger bike (thumbs)
Well mine is at Mikeys unit so even I don't get to ride it but why would she bother when she's got a 916 of her own?

Yes, but I went out and bought a Ducati single didn't I - bet Mrs AndyB doesn't go out for a ride on yours eh? :whistle:

Simon
I appear to have made a mess of that but my reply is above Simons.
So, she like 'em big then ... :evil:

Regs
No, she likes to try to intimidate blokes on motorbikes who think she's a stupid girlie when she's out on her own.

Simon_100
Posts: 7366
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by Simon_100 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:35 am

AndyB wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:
AndyB wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:
AndyB wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Sounds like you have more of an idea than most of the rest if us when we started with motorbikes - I thought it would make me attractive to women! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Well bikes must have made me more attractive to women because my quota certainly increased after I passed my bike test and got a bigger bike (thumbs)
Well mine is at Mikeys unit so even I don't get to ride it but why would she bother when she's got a 916 of her own?

Yes, but I went out and bought a Ducati single didn't I - bet Mrs AndyB doesn't go out for a ride on yours eh? :whistle:

Simon
I appear to have made a mess of that but my reply is above Simons.
So, she like 'em big then ... :evil:

Regs
No, she likes to try to intimidate blokes on motorbikes who think she's a stupid girlie when she's out on her own.
That's exactly the kind of thing Mrs S liked to do to when her LGV license was still separate from her normal one and used that for ID to patronising gits in garages, etc. (thumbs)

Meanwhile, before we hijack the OP any more ... :whistle:

You'll get loads of contradictory advice, especially from the Industry, which could end up with you spending lots of dosh on gear - and bike(s) - that you don't need.

Obviously the first thing to do is get riding and see if you actually like it - no shame if at that stage you think, "Not for me!", especially after you've had a few frights with four wheeled (of more) vehicles and being caught out in the rain,etc.

You could also use that time to have a few 'adventures' on your 125cc - plenty here that do just that, including me on my Beta Alp 200 cc. From where you live you could have a fine time riding up and down Offa's Dyke, the South Shropshire hills, West Wales - Hmm, maybe I feel a UK tour coming on (thumbs) - all beautiful country, quiet roads, lovely B&B's, country pubs and camp sites.

Then there's a sort of a decision tree:

Does your definition of 'adventure' mean riding off road? There's a lot here think it does but you can ride from your front door to Timbuktu and never leave the black stuff - and who could claim that's not an 'adventure' !

If not then an ordinary road bike is going to be a) cheaper, b) more choice, no lengthy debates about tyres, etc. etc.

Then does your idea of 'adventure' mean camping or do you draw the line at hostels, B&B's etc. - as plenty do here and are not ashamed to admit it!

Once again, this will have big repercussions on the luggage you have to consider and this again reflects on your bike choice. You'll find the hard vs soft luggage an endless theme but of you'e into staying in accommodation then quickly detachable panniers, even smart ones that pass off as 'real' luggage are a better, if possibly more expensive, choice.

Once again taking Morocco: every one I've known who's gone to Morocco thinking they would camp haven't bothered as a) accommodation is so cheap and b) the campings, such as they are, are, shall we say, different. Bearing in mind too that Morocco is best form October to April at the you'd also have to use accommodation crossing Spain as almost all campings are closed then - it's also too chuffing cold, don't ask me why I know this! :whistle:

So, if you give us all a few answers to these two questions for starters you could find yourself the originator of a cracking topic ... meanwhile, get out there, get wet, dirty, oily, knocked over - not! - and find yourself a fetish object for dominant, defiant and possibly dangerous women! (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service



*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Redmurty
Posts: 11651
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:44 pm
Has thanked: 245 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by Redmurty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:23 am

garyboy wrote:Naah. . Don't do it. Think of your heart. with all that excitement. And whatever you do don't sell your house for a RTW trip. Far better to let the government take it off you to pay for your care home fees. And when the dementia sets in you will have forgotten what you missed anyway.
Best wishes. Gary ;)
yeah and I will be sat next to you having spent all my money first :whistle:

carpe diem

58 at present 60th birthday present to myself the TAT, unless some better ride comes along ;) better to regret doing something than regret doing nothing (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal



You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Antipodean
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:15 am

getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by Antipodean » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:25 am

Redmurty wrote:better to regret doing something than regret doing nothing (thumbs)
Absolutely this! My grandmother taught me this when I was young and she fought in the French resistance, so knew what she was talking about.
-Matt

Post Reply

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests