getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
byewayrider

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by byewayrider »

How about being a passenger in a sidecar attached to a old brit bike or bmw....thats a ace way to travel...unfortunately i have neither sidecar or old bike...

My aunt went solo round the world at 65 never been abroad before...lol mad old batty ladh she is loved it and even did a bungy jump and whitwater rafting...loved the hostels too...

Many old aged person puts the young to shame....bless them
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
SHarper

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by SHarper »

bluekiwigrant wrote:. ...so, how do I start?
Don't do it, the best way to quit is never to start.

It'll only upset you when you realise what you've been missing out on for 40 odd years.
skipper

Post by skipper »

you will fit right in here. go for it.
kito

Post by kito »

Go for it . You won't look back. People hype it all up and make out that big trips are hard or challenging. That's just for there ego if you ask me. The reality is it's relatively easy . Easier than weekends away as your bike is always packed and you always have what you need with you. I did my CBT. 2 lessons on a bigger bike then went in for my full bike licence. I did 2 weekend camping trips to Hawes then set off round the world. I'm younger than you but was new to bikes when I set off RTW. I met quite a few older gents on the road having the time of there life. In 14 months of traveling the only problems I encountered was 2 English lads that where dicks and the first weekend back in England I broke down outside a motorbike shop an all the staff just watched through the window not one offered any help as I was fiddling with my bike. Every other country I went I experienced amazing help and hospitality .
wwdph02

Post by wwdph02 »

Go for it. Just back from my second trip to Norway in two years, 5000 miles in two weeks and I will be 63 next birthday. Still planning another trip next year and I met plenty of coffin dodgers on my holiday. Just get a bike you are happy and comfortable with (probably the 5th 6th 'keeper' before you get anywhere near the one)
As far as power restriction on a new license, don't think about it, 125cc's get from here to Australia and back so a trip across Europe would be good practice, whatever size you start with.
All the best, dave
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

The Spanish Biker wrote:Sounds like you have more of an idea than most of the rest if us when we started with motorbikes - I thought it would make me attractive to women! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Well bikes must have made me more attractive to women because my quota certainly increased after I passed my bike test and got a bigger bike (thumbs)
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

hotbulb wrote:As above... go for it!

I finally got round to doing CBT and taking the test at age 56 ... I'd ridden various bikes in my teens, and a 125 for a while back in the 80's, but basically a novice.
Once the test was passed I bought a Honda Transalp 650 ( which suited my ageing back, unlike a sports bike... and haven't looked back (apart from "lifesaver" shoulder checks :) )since (now 63).
+1 :)

Also went on to do the IAM advanced ... well worth it :) (thumbs)
Ramble-on

getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by Ramble-on »

Don't let anyone put you off. Just go for it. Did it 10yrs ago. Best thing I ever did.

Do your research, try different things and when you're happy go for it.

All the best and good luck

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

as everyone is saying go for it, think how lucky you are all your forthcoming rides will be adventures some have to ride hours and hours or even days to be on an adventure. Sure there will be many who tell you not to,tell them go and plant something or get a new tv, keep us informed of your progress, welcome to the fraternity.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

This is how it goes:......Sunday afternoon tea at Craggy Island.

father10_2016-08-29.jpg
father10_2016-08-29.jpg (235.05 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
And for the doubters.....:

Funny-Pictures-with-Sayings-19.jpg
Funny-Pictures-with-Sayings-19.jpg (95.37 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”