getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
bluekiwigrant

getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by bluekiwigrant »

Hi Some how I'm going to be 60 this year and I quite fancy getting involved in trips abroad adventure motorcyclists, however, I have never ridden a motorbike and my knowledge of motorbikes is that they have 2 wheels.

Possible if so how do I start
Mike54

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by Mike54 »

never too late - go and find a local centre which does CBT and go from there
JonnyBravo

Re: getting old no idea how to ride a motorbike - could I go on adventure motorcycle trips

Post by JonnyBravo »

Mike54 wrote:never too late - go and find a local centre which does CBT and go from there
+1 (thumbs)

Go for it fella

Anyway, its easier than riding a pushbike .......... cos you don't need to peddle !
When nothing is going right - go left
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Sounds like you have more of an idea than most of the rest if us when we started with motorbikes - I thought it would make me attractive to women! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Go for it as Mike said but remember a bike is not a car with two wheels. The only two things in common are they use petrol and go on the road. After that its a world of difference.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

If you fill out your forum profile we would know the area you live.
There may be someone on here local to you that would mentor your introduction to the best form of travel invented.

Welcome to ABR mate.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
bluekiwigrant

Post by bluekiwigrant »

I live in Wotton under Edge Gloucestershire
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

The training is straightforward if a bit costly. Once you have your licence I think these days you are limited to bikes with less than 50 something horsepower but this is perfectly adequate for European touring.

Someone on here (can't remember who but I'm sure they'll be along at some point) took up motorbikes in their early 60's and now tours around Europe regularly with his wife as pillion.
steve_h80

Post by steve_h80 »

Go for it now.
Find training school and do the cbt thing to make sure you like it.
Then stick with the school bike to get your full licence ( none of this "I'll buy a 125" nonsence ).
Then spend 2 or 3 grand on a newish 500 - 650cc bike from a dealer or someone you know so as not to end up with something unreliable.
And you'll be on the road come spring and ready to join the fun :-)
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

As above... go for it!

I finally got round to doing CBT and taking the test at age 56 ... I'd ridden various bikes in my teens, and a 125 for a while back in the 80's, but basically a novice.
Once the test was passed I bought a Honda Transalp 650 ( which suited my ageing back, unlike a sports bike... and haven't looked back (apart from "lifesaver" shoulder checks :) )since (now 63).

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”