Open face helmets

Does my ass look big in these?
dubber68

Re: Open face helmets

Post by dubber68 »

I wear a hybrid helmet all of the time. I used to use a Shark evo 3 but found it very poor in the rain. I now use a Caberg Hyper X with the removable chin bar but full visor. I find this a great helmet in both very hot (chin bar removed) and very cold (full face mode) weather. Just finished a 5k mile trip around Europe in it and it was the perfect helmet for all the conditions I encountered. I now feel constricted by a full face helmet. I know it will not be as protective in a crash but figure The extra peripheral vision I get helps reduce the chance of a crash. Also I find less people pull out on me as the human brain is pre-programmed to spot human faces. (That is why we see them in clouds.)
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

dubber68 wrote:Also I find less people pull out on me as the human brain is pre-programmed to spot human faces. (That is why we see them in clouds.)
I've read some nonsense on here before but that's one of the best.I might as well just tape a selfie of myself over my headlight then and I'll keep my real face protected in my full face helmet!
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Visual Pareidolia

Pareidolia is a type of illusion or misperception involving a vague or obscure stimulus being perceived as something clear and distinct. Visual pareidolia is an excellent example of pareidolia, which we certainly all experience, and it is based on recognition of different animals or persons (mostly their faces), for example in the clouds.
Pareidolia is an integral part of human nature and everyday life, and it is not considered as a disorder. It is believed that it is the product of human evolution, because the recognition of a human faces was one of the most important skills for survival and development of a mankind. This is why we most common “recognize” human faces in random stimuli. There are well known examples of religious pareidolia where people from Christian culture “recognize” the faces of Jesus, the Virgin Mary or saints in the wood, stains on the wall etc.

:whistle:
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

These by the way are the references that were used in the article.#

References#

Brodski, A., Paasch, G., Helbling, S., & Wibral, M. (2015). The Faces of Predictive Coding Journal of Neuroscience, 35 (24), 8997-9006 DOI: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1529-14.2015
Gobbini MI, & Haxby JV (2007). Neural systems for recognition of familiar faces.

Neuropsychologia, 45 (1), 32-41 PMID: 16797608
Haxby, J., Ungerleider, L., Horwitz, B., Maisog, J., Rapoport, S., & Grady, C. (1996). Face encoding and recognition in the human brain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 93 (2), 922-927 DOI: 10.1073/pnas.93.2.922

Lewis, M., & Ellis, H. (2003). How we detect a face: A survey of psychological evidence International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology, 13 (1), 3-7 DOI: 10.1002/ima.10040

Liu, J., Harris, A., & Kanwisher, N. (2010). Perception of Face Parts and Face Configurations: An fMRI Study Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 22 (1), 203-211 DOI: 10.1162/jocn.2009.21203

blueyonder

Post by blueyonder »

Arai CT-RAM. Extended lower protection and excellent venting for European summers. Or Tour X f/f - better venting than most flips.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I have a CT Ram Arai and it's an excellent helmet, good vision and venting. I think they've stopped making that model though
Trev

Post by Trev »

daytona-supersport wrote:Open face helmet. Yep, nice and cool.

Go for it, providing you don't mind getting your face busted up if you ever hit the deck or and other immoveable obstacle, also braches and brambles can be a right sod as they whip across your face. A thorny bramble branch cutting across you face is always good for a laugh.

Seriously mate. forget it. Used to compete and ride with an open faced helmet years ago.
That's why I have a bridge across my front teeth and a seriously rebuilt nose. I don't mean just a bit broke, I mean seriously mashed as well as some other facial damage. I was lucky to keep my eyes intact, they were glued up with the dried blood and took a while to get open once I regained consciousness. Also some sod came along and painted me practically from head to toe with ketchup while I was having a kip.

Yep, nice and cool though. Go for it.:laugh:

PS, Anybody else go any more daft ideas?
ooooeeer, I'll get my coat :P

Understood but just cos you came a cropper that a full face would have made a difference in doesn't necessarily follow that all other open face users will do the same. Of course increases the risk a tad but if we follow that to it's natural conclusion then few of us would be riding a bike. My lovely, comfortable, quick, gadget laden Volvo is way, way safer than even your full face helmet but I prefer the higher risk of using a bike sometimes instead of driving the car, similar thing with open v full face, you takes your choice, etc, etc Not necessarily a daft idea just cos a different one to yours (thumbs)
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

dubber68 wrote:Visual Pareidolia

Pareidolia is a type of illusion or misperception involving a vague or obscure stimulus being perceived as something clear and distinct. Visual pareidolia is an excellent example of pareidolia, which we certainly all experience, and it is based on recognition of different animals or persons (mostly their faces), for example in the clouds.
Pareidolia is an integral part of human nature and everyday life, and it is not considered as a disorder. It is believed that it is the product of human evolution, because the recognition of a human faces was one of the most important skills for survival and development of a mankind. This is why we most common “recognize” human faces in random stimuli. There are well known examples of religious pareidolia where people from Christian culture “recognize” the faces of Jesus, the Virgin Mary or saints in the wood, stains on the wall etc.

:whistle:

I would like to think someone has spotted me long before they can tell what style of helmet I'm wearing.And what happens if someone pulls out on you who hasn't even looked your way? As I found out last week not all accidents involve someone else,I wasn't riding hard and it had nothing to do with a lack of peripheral vision.My chin bar wasn't damaged this time but neither was my jacket.That doesn't mean I'm about to start riding in a t-shirt though!
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

As I stated in my post they are probably not as safe in an accident and to be honest I was answering a query from someone not trying to convince you to use one. You are entitled to your opinion and choice of helmet as am I. You would however be surprised at the distance you will recognise a human face at.

sprintster

Post by sprintster »

dubber68 wrote:As I stated in my post they are probably not as safe in an accident and to be honest I was answering a query from someone not trying to convince you to use one. You are entitled to your opinion and choice of helmet as am I. You would however be surprised at the distance you will recognise a human face at.
You're right,you're quite entitled to rip your face off in an accident if you choose! I still don't believe a face will be recognised before your brain has spotted a relatively large object moving across your peripheral vision though.I watched a cyclist coming towards me this morning and he must have come about 300 yards closer before I could recognise his face!

Return to “CLOTHING”