Garmin SatNav glitch at 66 degrees North

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Spike941

Garmin SatNav glitch at 66 degrees North

Post by Spike941 »

On my trip up to the Nordkapp and back a couple of weeks ago, my Garmin 660 SatNav switched to night time mode as I approached the Arctic Circle. Initially I thought I'd lost the screen as I couldn't see it in the daylight, but still had full audio. Thinking it might have been affected by the damp, (one of the very few encounters I had with rain) I removed it from the cradle and it immediately switched back to daytime mode. Back in the cradle, back to night time mode. Damp in the cradle connection I thought. Ploughed on, and after 15 or 20 minutes heading north it switched back to daytime mode. Dried out? But could it be a glitch in the location, Arctic Circle and all that I thought. No further problems upto the Nordkapp, even experienced a little more rain but without a repartition. On the way back down, (you guessed it) approaching the Arctic Circle, but from the north this time, it again switched to night time mode for the best part of 20 minutes before coming back to daytime mode. Must be a software/location issue I guess. Anyone else experienced similar problems with SatNav's ?
Mike54

Re: Garmin SatNav glitch at 66 degrees North

Post by Mike54 »

That would be unusual as the night/day screen setting is from a photochromatic cell. Sounds like coincidence tbh.
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

Others have reported similar on the ADVRider forum - seems to be a Garmin issue.
deskjetian

Post by deskjetian »

Exactly same thing happened to me when I was up there in 2014. I was using a Garmin Nuvi 255W at the time and thought it was bust till I went into a tunnel and could suddenly make out the display.

Return to “TECHNICAL”