ADAC - A Cautionary Tale

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Treadtrader

Re: ADAC - A Cautionary Tale

Post by Treadtrader »

ADAC is a breakdown operator, shouldn't your insurance company recovered the bike.
It was a road collision not a breakdown?

Glad to hear you're ok though.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

SteveW wrote:'Kin-hell nightmare mate.
I hate dealing with corporations when the situation is crucial to me and just another day at the office for them.
I've often thought that as bikers we should have some form of mutual non-profit-community-thing, whereby bikers stranded in similar circumstances to the one as you found yourself in, could call upon assistance from local fellow bikers.....even if it's just local advice or a language issue.
Glad the injuries won't be a long term problem, hopefully your insurance will cover the costs you encured, but that's a fight for another day.
not a bad idea that steve, similar to rent a couch, this is a big enough forum with people who know people, might be worth getting one of the guides to put an attachment with mob numbers and specialties even if its just a bike trailer.

steve
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

skipper wrote:makes me wonder if brexit had an influence on your treatment
ummm

steve
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Treadtrader wrote:ADAC is a breakdown operator, shouldn't your insurance company recovered the bike.
It was a road collision not a breakdown?

Glad to hear you're ok though.
accident and breakdown service. the insurer can repatriate the bike from a garage if needs be but we didnt need that. they just paid for Marcs milage etc
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Glad to hear you're finally home Mike and Sally.

Shame on the ADAC though.
I had a similar thing a few years back when I highsided off the bike tearing a ligament in my knee. Phoned up the ADAC and nowt happened for hours, phoned them again and they called the break down service, an hour later they turned up. It appears they send a fax to the break down operator. Unfortunately they had a shift change when the fax arrived and no one had noticed it.

It happend at three in the afternoon and we were home at midnight. Not a patch on your story but it just shows the ADAC isn't the best service in the world.
I wonder what is these days...
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
moto al

Post by moto al »

Sorry to hear your bad experience ,I'm glad your ok. The company Iv used in the past was Mondial . A great service when I needed them . Al
moto al
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Slam this all over the internet/facetwat etc Mike, their shitty service needs to be outed :ohmy:
one-legged adventurer
vanman

Post by vanman »

A Cautionary Tale indeed .......
Just got my ADAC renewal notice through !
I have only had a year membership and thankfully no requirement yet, I researched them a lot , as I'm sure others would have and found glowing reports from everyone I could find - now do I or don't I ??

Any other good experiences with Mondial ?
Do they cover bikes and cars in UK and Continent ?

My ADAC covers me and Mrs on any form of vehicle all over the continent and UK just over 100 Euros...

But, are they any good though :-(
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I think I've answered that above. Me and the mrs both have ADAC Plus membership is the top tier. Utter shit.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I have been travelling over many years and just this afternoon renewed the bike insurance which comes with EU wide breakdown cover and went through all the small print.

However like many I have found that sometimes insurance is not always worth it.

BUT one thing I found some time back is that breakdown cover is just that, breakdown only so when there was an accident caused by a third party they would not offer any help whatsoever. Then I found that the 'accident' cover you get is fairly minimal to put it mildly and pretty much like what has been posted here, even when you have taken it out yourself. Its limited to so much a night and so much for car hire and you still end up out of pocket.

The one tactic I have used is to call the offending party's insurers to sort it out while at the scene. In fact on one occasion this happened it revealed the third party [a truck driver] had no insurance while the police were still at the scene going through his paperwork. That was fun.

Going back to the problem I feel that with an accident no one will really help to the point of pick it all up and bring it home.

I now carry health cover and breakdown cover and work on the basis that that's my lot.

Whatever about the level cover with ADAC that litany of even trying to deal with them sums it up.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles

Return to “TRAVEL”