Northumberland

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Earwig

Northumberland

Post by Earwig »

Thought I might go for a couple of nights camping in the Northumberland National Park over the summer, with a tarmac dawdle around the area and get some photos (thumbs) as I've not been to this part before.

Any of you know a good bit of the park for a road only dawdle with good views?

(Looking at camping near Bellingham/Hexham)

Thanks

(thumbs)
klr.it

Re: Northumberland

Post by klr.it »

Hi Earwig, not to sure about roads but can recommend Clennell Hall for accommodation, they have acouple of bunk rooms in the hotel,nice clean showers,bar and pub grub. Stayed there last year doing the sandstone way mtb route. I think it cost just 10 pounds per person and it included breakfast. Just north of Alwinton in the upper Coquetdale valley.
Biquad

Post by Biquad »

There is a campsite in the middle of Bellingham, which itself has 3 pubs to chose from and good local shops. Central to the Kielder area. Yep I've been there as I've been working on a cottage in the Forest itself so visit Bellingham for supplies quite regularly when I'm there.
AustinW

Northumberland

Post by AustinW »

Try the roads over the military ranges from just north of otterburm into coquetdale. Often closed for the army to do their stuff but unless the gates are down and sentries stop you it should be ok. Coquetdale is a lovely run.

There are some very nice very minor very remote little roads to the north of the Cheviots between kirk yetholm and A68 just north of carter bar. These make for a good loop including military ranges.

The kielder forest track is worth paying the £3 too;although my mum could drive it in her Honda Jazz it is nevertheless a nice run into wild open country.

Don't ignore the coast while you there either - Alnmouth, Amble, Craster,Bamburgh, Lindisfiarne. All lovely place with nice beaches in between.

Finally take deet and a head net. The midges can be bad.
Spadger

Post by Spadger »

Hi , living up here just a quick one , if uour into photography you could honestly spend all day on the coastal route , castles beaches , holy island ( lindisfarne ) a decent base for coast is bamburgh or beadnell , superb for photos , no camping on holy island but there's a farmers field for a tenner near budle bay , a ride from there can take you to Wooler via Alnwick , Rothbury , Otterburn , yo Bellingham , there you have access to Keilder( midgies ) the Roman wall , and also a bit further afield Alston , there's a bunk house Haggs Bank , near Alston , where you can wander around some of the highest roads in England , some great photo ops on Roman Wall, Edmundbyers ( durham ) is only about ten miles from Hexham but has a good hostel and attached campsite I think , it puts you on edge of Northumbria and opens up Blanchland and roads back over to allanheads/ Hexham / superb riding up here your spoilt for choice really , I can't say to much about camp sites tho as have only used a couple , look up Crag Lough , which is on Roman wall above haltwhistle , great photos there , long military road with lots of dips , I'm sure there's a campsite as well although bellinghams close enough , John

Return to “TRAVEL”