Honda Varadero Cam Chain Tensioner

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Kev63

Honda Varadero Cam Chain Tensioner

Post by Kev63 »

Hi all

Whilst getting my bike MOTd today I heard about a local Varadero where the tensioners packed in on a run with no warning ,resulting in a new engine being required. So panic then set in !!

If you have or have had a Varadero 1000 at what mileage did you get your cam chain tensioners changed. My 2008 model has just done 20k however I have been advised to change them as soon as possible. My local dealer will just about manage to get them done before we go away next Saturday as long as the parts are here by mid week.

I have checked the Varadero forum and it looks like the early models had problems which Honda then rectified. The only other posts were with some going at 30k, 40k and a few at 80k before they were changed.

I have ordered the parts (£190 inc gaskets and post) however due to an OOS issue it is touch and go whether they will arrive by Wednesday.

So come next week it might be a case of leave it until we get back if the parts are late or cancel the ferry and don't risk it.
kito

Re: Honda Varadero Cam Chain Tensioner

Post by kito »

£190 WTF are honda smoking ? I just fitted one on my ccm404 for £22
threepot

Post by threepot »

If you can't get it done before going,I wouldn't worry too much. Chances are it'll be OK. The biggest strain on the tensioner is from heavy engine braking,or heavy de-acceleration,when the 'slack' side of the chain becomes taught. Try to avoid that.

Shit..I thought the Triumph one was expensive at £90! :blink:
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

I wouldn't worry & I think you'll find its the front one that's the problem.
I've got a 08 Varadero as well now over 40,000 miles & I have no intention of replacing the tensioner any time soon .
Might consider removing it just to check the spring & that oil is getting to it .

Ian.
Kev63

Post by Kev63 »

Cheers for the replies.

I phoned a couple of official Honda dealers this morning and was told it is not a problem on Varaderos , especially at 20k unless engine ridden hard all the time and no oil changes. On that basis I will be Ok. They said check at next major service of 32k but even then should be Ok.

I possibly should have done a bit of research rather than letting panic set in with only a week to go until we go away. On top of that I also found cheaper tensioners on eBay at just over half the price of those ordered from the dealer yesterday. You live and learn!!

Just as a footnote, I have had the bike a year, put just under 9k miles on it and really like it. A bit different from my last bike a 955 sprint St which I had for 13yrs. Just wish I had got one earlier and it was a bit lighter.
Curzon

Post by Curzon »

I had a 2009 plate Varadero. Never any issue with the CCT. I seem to recall this was an issue on the much earlier Varaderos with the carb fed engine and carb VTR Firestorms. Not an issue on FI bikes. I think the big H changed the CCT design around 2007?? i seem to recall. This coincided with the intro of the FI engine.Yours should be OK with on 2008.

I seem to recall there was a visible external difference between the old and new CCT, although I can't remember what that was now?

Many VTR Firestorm owners fitted an aftermarket manual CCT, or modified the existing CCT to convert it to manual
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Honda have always made rubbish cam chain tensioners which is why they put gear driven cams in the early VFR 750 to try and lose their bad reputation :laugh:
Curzon

Post by Curzon »

Fantastic and very underrated bike by the way!

Much maligned at the time, by the press and resulting general concensus. People complained that is failed to live up to the Africa Twin. But for those in the know it was a good solid bike and a bargain to boot, even if it would never set your pants on fire.
Curzon

Post by Curzon »

AndyB wrote:Honda have always made rubbish cam chain tensioners which is why they put gear driven cams in the early VFR 750 to try and lose their bad reputation :laugh:
Not true! They went to gear driven cams on the VFR750 as a belt and braces over engineering response to cam shaft failures on the earlier VF750. Nothing to do with CCT and cam chains.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Curzon wrote:
AndyB wrote:Honda have always made rubbish cam chain tensioners which is why they put gear driven cams in the early VFR 750 to try and lose their bad reputation :laugh:
Not true! They went to gear driven cams on the VFR750 as a belt and braces over engineering response to cam shaft failures on the earlier VF750. Nothing to do with CCT and cam chains.
If you say so.

I'll stick to my view that they couldn't make a cam chain tensioner that worked as proven by the fact that the one on my 1979 CX500 fell apart before the bike did 1,000 miles from new but my experiences along with thousands of others must have been a fluke :pinch:

Why would you put a gear train to drive the cams rather than a chain if the problem wasn't partly the drive?

Return to “TECHNICAL”