HELP PLEASE!!!!!

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
midlife

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Post by midlife »

Can any one help with a quick fix (destructive or otherwise) We are currently near Carcassone and my wife has lost the key to her locking petrol cap to her 2013 Boneville T100. Any advice please? happy to destroy if the only option. Thanks in advance
Rob
sprintster

Re: HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Post by sprintster »

Just looking at photos of a tank now.Any chance you can get hold of a large mole grips or plumber's wrench (stillson) and just twist it off? :unsure:
herman

Post by herman »

That took a while to find on a parts fiche, its an extra! Least disruptive is a locksmith as its an easy pick, next is drill it out, next bash a flat bladed screwdriver in it, last is a dirty great pair of waterpump piers or a wrench as it unscrews....this may however bugger the tank neck. :( Have fun, Carcassone is nice lit up at night though and there is very good wine to be had :)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

midlife wrote: happy to destroy if the only option.
You might as well. Plenty of other fish in the sea. Sell the bike and come home on your own. :whistle:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Knock on the door of any farm. Ask this:

'Bonjour/bonsoir! Désolé, j'ai un probléme avec ma moto. Est ce que vous avez une perceuse électrique?'

Say 'merci' loads of times. Drill the fucker out, buy some tape and re-seal it every time you've refilled the tank.

Take your time and enjoy the lovely castle and countryside of Carcasonne. It's a nice place.

Get home and buy a new filler cap.

If you have any further problems on the way home, you can drop in here (Haute Vienne, Limousin) and I'll try to help out.

Sorted.

Dave R
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

If you drill it do it slowly as red hot swarf and petrol do mix and may cause an explosion !!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

If the cap isn't sunk into the top surface of the tank try to drive out the hinge pin (if there is one) because you're a lot less likely to need a new tank once you've finished.
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

It's probably an easy pick for a locksmith or as others have suggested, just thump a hefty screwdriver into the lock and turn the blade with an adjustable spanner whilst applying pressure to keep it deep in the lock. Ideally hold the petrol-cap with some waterpump pliers so it doesn't bugger the tank neck. You only want to bust the lock
skipper

Post by skipper »

from what i remember ,the triumph cap is a very simple key. I would spend some time at picking the lock, it will be possible. when you get fed-up screw driver or slide hammer.
midlife

Post by midlife »

All sorted now chaps.... many thanks for the advice..... a trusty flat screwdriver did the trick..... Billy banana head had my favourite solution however it was "impractical"
for this occasion but I will keep it for another!

Return to “HOW TO..........”