Irish Ferries. Be warned.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
johnnyboxer

Re: Irish Ferries. BE WARNED!!!

Post by johnnyboxer »

To save the worry, just ride onto the ferry, park up and gently lay the bike on its side and resting on the panniers

It can't drop any further and you can then relax in the bar, knowing your bike will never fall over :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
SteveR

Re: Re: Irish Ferries. BE WARNED!!!

Post by SteveR »

Ourdavid wrote:I remove the seat and strap across the frame on my GS LC, I use a piece of carpet under the strap and I've had no problems on BF on 2 trips through the Bay of Biscay. I always show the erk that the seat base is in fact plastic as are the mounts.
Good idea, one I will explore further.... I think the frame rails are far enough apart to make it work!
Bart1

Re: Re: Irish Ferries. BE WARNED!!!

Post by Bart1 »

I must have been very lucky, have been down to Spain on the ferry many times over the years, mainly on a "fragile" sports bike and never ever had a problem despite the odd rough crossing. However I always wait until the bike is strapped down, and its neighbours, before going upstairs.
Hope I'm not tempting fate.......
SteveR

Re: Irish Ferries. Be warned.

Post by SteveR »

Well a grand result, Irish Ferries have agreed to refund my cost of replacement!! A super outcome that deserves priase.

Dear Mr Rawlings,

Thank you for your reply and sending on the attached photos.

I’ve reviewed the matter further with the ship and your comments have been raised with the Chief Officer. We will work to improve upon the current service we offer for passengers travelling with motorbikes to prevent a similar occurrence in the future.

We will be happy to reimburse you without prejudice the £240.38 cost for replacing the part damaged. If you could please forward me the receipt once purchased along with your IBAN & BIC details I’ll be able to arrange a refund to your bank account.

Kind regards,

I really cannot ask for a better response for myself, and with luck, IF will look at providing a better method of securing bikes on their ferries in the future, especially as I believe they are about to launch a cross channel service.
Ourdavid

Post by Ourdavid »

They are to be commended what a fantastic response.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

That's a good result.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

SteveR wrote:Well a grand result, Irish Ferries have agreed to refund my cost of replacement!! A super outcome that deserves priase.

Dear Mr Rawlings,

I’ve reviewed the matter further with the ship and your comments have been raised with the Chief Officer. We will work to improve upon the current service we offer for passengers travelling with motorbikes to prevent a similar occurrence in the future.

We will be happy to reimburse you without prejudice the £240.38 cost for replacing the part damaged. If you could please forward me the receipt once purchased along with your IBAN & BIC details I’ll be able to arrange a refund to your bank account.

Kind regards,

I really cannot ask for a better response for myself, and with luck, IF will look at providing a better method of securing bikes on their ferries in the future, especially as I believe they are about to launch a cross channel service.
Not written by an Irishman there's no ejit's begorrahs or jasus in the reply :whistle: and no offer of a pint of the black stuff (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Redmurty wrote:
SteveR wrote:Well a grand result, Irish Ferries have agreed to refund my cost of replacement!! A super outcome that deserves priase.

Dear Mr Rawlings,

Kind regards,

Not written by an Irishman there's no eejit's begorrahs or jasus in the reply :whistle: and no offer of a pint of the black stuff (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Probs a graduate from Dublin Uni!!! Thank God i was not offered the "black stuff" too, foul stuff as far as I am concerned... :dry:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

OB1 wrote:
SteveR wrote:
I seem to recall the last time I saw your XC it was on the floor on a green lane in Thetford?? Wasn't it black then...?
LOL! (thumbs) That was my previous Tiger and it was an orange one.

I upgraded in January this year to the XCx as the XC was just turning 5 years old and the XCx was £2,000 off list price... couldn't say no really!
Sensible deal... Did you ever manage to get all the turf out of the nooks and crannys?? ;)
OB1

Post by OB1 »

SteveR wrote:
OB1 wrote:
SteveR wrote:
I seem to recall the last time I saw your XC it was on the floor on a green lane in Thetford?? Wasn't it black then...?
LOL! (thumbs) That was my previous Tiger and it was an orange one.

I upgraded in January this year to the XCx as the XC was just turning 5 years old and the XCx was £2,000 off list price... couldn't say no really!
Sensible deal... Did you ever manage to get all the turf out of the nooks and crannys?? ;)
Took a while but yes... and then I got it clean enough for a £4K trade-in! (thumbs)
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “TRAVEL”