Trouble with BMW ESA suspension

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
RavenstoneGSA

Re: Trouble with BMW ESA suspension

Post by RavenstoneGSA »

+1 For Firefox Racing. I sent my rear shock in for rear build after finding the suspicious puddle of oil. Turn around was quick and its not the toughest of DIY jobs.

Let me know if you need any advice.

Cheers,

John.
geoham

Post by geoham »

Hello guys,

Not sorted yet but i have been doing a lot of reading on the subject of the ESA suspension.
Rebuild is a cheaper option by far and if I was for selling the bike anytime soon then I would go down that road.

I contacted VMtek in Cork who are the main agents in Ireland for the Wilber WESA shocks. Just waiting on them getting back to me with a price and an estimated turnaround time if I decide to go down that route.
Reason I'm thinking of going new is that me and my other half tour Europe most years and as said earlier I'm not selling the bike anytime soon plus Wilbers give a 5 year warranty.

Wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere in Europe with a blown shock especially when we are 2 up and fully loaded.

I will give the guys mentioned here a call and get their views on how reliable the rebuild original shock is and take it from there!

I will keep you all posted on what I finally end up doing.

I will still be at the Shepards Rest driving or riding who knows what lol

See you all there.
geoham

Post by geoham »

Hello all,
I was talking to some of the guys at the ABR rally at the Shepards Rest over the weekend and I was asked by a few what was happening with the GS rear shock.

So far the shock has been sent to a guy called Paul von mensenkampff who runs a company called VMtek Suspensions in Cork Southern Ireland. He is the agent in Ireland for Wilbers shocks.

He estimates a 3 week turnaround as the shock is a bespoke shock built to suit my bike,my weight,my pillions weight plus my luggage weight.

Once it's fitted and I have put a few hundred miles on the bike I will do a follow up on what I think of the shock.

On another note is was good to get chatting to a few of you guys at the rally and a big thank you to Heff as by all accounts is was a well run weekend.

Unfortunately I had to give the run outs a miss because of the above problems but always the next time.
geoham

Post by geoham »

Well the rear shock for the GS arrived yesterday from VMTEK in Cork. 3 weeks turnaround so not too bad.

I fitting back on the bike late last night so I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet.
I will give it a few weeks riding and then report back what my views are on the Wilbers.
Brads

Post by Brads »

Does the new shock retain the ESA facility?
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
geoham

Post by geoham »

Yes Brads the take your ESA system and match it upto your new shock. I haven't got a chance yet to take the bike for a spin but once a get a few hundreds miles up I will do a review and give my thoughts on the Wilbers.
threepot

Post by threepot »

Try these,YSS.
Just fitted one to my tiger. Very happy with it (thumbs)

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/replacement- ... le-wemoto/

Bought from....
http://www.bike-revival.co.uk/page1.html
geoham

Post by geoham »

Good price if you have standard shocks!

Very few are doing shocks to suit the BMW ESA system,Wilbers and Touratech are the 2 that spring to mind other than BMW.
Heff

Post by Heff »

geoham wrote:Well the rear shock for the GS arrived yesterday from VMTEK in Cork. 3 weeks turnaround so not too bad.

I fitting back on the bike late last night so I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet.
I will give it a few weeks riding and then report back what my views are on the Wilbers.
At least you are back in the saddle (thumbs)

Maybe catch up on a ride out later on in the year
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
geoham

Post by geoham »

Yes Heff glad to get the bike back on the road.
I'm always up for a ride out anytime (thumbs)

Return to “TECHNICAL”